Originally Posted By: FatFreddy
About thirty years ago I read somewhere that the fusion reaction going on in the sun is happening several quadrillion times more slowly than the reaction taking place in a hydrogen bomb. The reason put forth in the article I read was that the fusion reaction going on in the sun is with light hydrogen-not deuterium or tritium.

According to the article, in order to initiate a fusion reaction with light hydrogen, high heat and pressure are necessary-heat and pressure that's only possible at the center of large bodies of matter such as stars and planets. It's impossible to attain the necessary levels of heat and pressure to initiate a light hydrogen fusion reaction in the laboratory.

A light hydrogen fusiio reaction is not an explosion. It's a slow burn.

I don't have time now but I'll google around and see what I can find on this later.

Pinch, pinch, pinch.
In above posts, I have already pointed out that the eyewalls of sunspots have huge amounts of the circular electric currents (1,000,000,000,000 Amperes for middle size circular sunspots), so plasmas in eyewalls of sunspots are in pinch state, that is, in high temperature (above ten million Kelvin) high density state, so stable nuclear fusion reactions can happen in eyewalls of sunspots.
Z-pinch fusion experiments are done almost every day; do you not believe these experiments?

Astronomers think that the sun can maintain stable nuclear fusion reactions in its inner core just by a centripetal force (gravity), but sunspots kind stable nuclear fusion reactors are governed by a centripetal force and electromagnetic forces, their mechanisms are different.