PROBABILISM
===========

THE GOD HYPOTHESIS AND PROBABILISM

===================================
In thinking about the God Hypothesis, which Richard Dawkins on page 3, The GOD Delusion, describes as, "a scientific hypothesis about the universe, which should be analysed as skeptically as any other", it helps me to at least attempt to understand the doctrine of probabilism.

PROBABILISM
=============
Probabilism is the philosophical doctrine that certainty is impossible and that probability suffices to govern faith and practice.

Atheists--that is, people who choose to deny the existence of gods, or God, and to live their lives without any invisible means of support--because they admit it is impossible to prove a negative, call on the doctrine of probabilism to help them argue their case. This is the philosophy behind the campaign by atheists in London, England, who were the first, in early January, to post the following add on 800 city buses: THERE'S PROBABLY NO GOD. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

But probabilism also works for those who choose to affirm the existence of anything, including the existence of God, or even gods, fairies and the like.

The United Church of Canada countered the atheists bus campaign with a full-page ad in the Globe and Mail, a national paper: In addition to the text used by the atheists, they added this option: THERE'S PROBABLY A GOD. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life. Check boxes appeared besides each option, inviting the readers to choose. Readers were also invited to join the discussion here at WonderCafe.ca

Let's all give UC thanks for this interactive website of the United Church's Emerging Spirit campaign.

By the way, because for me as a spiritual being, the physical universe--open to being explored by all the sciences--is very much a part of the holos, which I call GØD, I have no hesitation in saying that GØD is not just probable, but IS--just as sure as Being or Presence IS.

Atheists, keep in mind that, for me, GØD is not just a being, or some super kind of idol created by the mind. It would be foolish of me to even attempt to prove that there is such a being. To atheists who ask for evidence, I ask: Is there no evidence for your being, my being and what I call all Being or Presence? Unless life is what Hemmingway called a "dirty trick", it seems to me that certain truths are self evident.

Of course I do not know all about all Being, even all about my own being, or the being of anyone; but this does not prevent me from being certain of the part about which I do know and--unless I choose to reject it, which I am free to do--am experiencing in the Now.

It is my awareness of GØD as the total process of Being now, which enables me to work on being moral, ethical and loving--according to the Golden Rule. This motivates me and encourages me to make the eternal pilgrimage, empowered by a rational faith and gracious Being or Presence, which, unless we choose to reject it, surrounds all of us.

===========

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org