When some one invents a free source of Hydrogen, thermal, solar or electrical, let me know, so I can start looking for a new career.

Torrified wood pellets would be a great addition to fuel sources, especially home heating. Current wood pellets must be kept dry, are hard to store and can degrade. Torrified pellets, if made correctly could prove to be an easier fuel for conversion from home heating oil to biomass. Two things I would keep in mind are, ash content (no bark in whole tree chips), and how sturdy the pellets become (can they be moved by blowers, not conveyors).

The most important part is scale, current pellet mills are around 100,000 tons per year in size. This results in 7000 tractor truck loads of chips per year, which could be quite a disturbance for a small town, roads, general infrastructure. The question of sustainability arises as well, forest here in the northeast can produce 1 ton of biomass per year, per acre. That means you would need 100,000 acres, close by.

I would suggest looking at a factor of 4 or 10 smaller. This would require at most 25,000 acres.

Having researched torrification a bit, I think you will find that you primary energy need is in drying. As you start to reach temps capable of torrification, the reactions become exothermic and releases heat.

In short, the need for high temperature process heat is low, the need for low quality drying heat is high. This may drive you thinking and calculations. This could mean, for example, a combination of different types of solar collectors could be used. Purpose built, and closely coupled to only one section of the process line.

I love the idea, and hope more people pursue upgraded biomass fuels. There are many of us that would design systems around them, if available.
Cheers,
Trevor