Originally Posted By: ImranCan
i'm not surprised you don't want to look at the link...
...didn't say "don't want to..." Just that I'd seen it so many times before... didn't need to.

Zealotry tends a bit "random" I think.

But I see I was right in characterizing this as a Bjorn Based Argument (my first post on this thread).
However, I am in favor of ignoring Polar Bears on this thread, please; I didn't bring them up.

There is no "alarmist's line" to toe. There are a plethora of lines (of evidence) leading to a multitude of molehills.
There is thus a mountain of mounting evidence that non-linear climate systems are being destabilized (while we concomitantly degrade the resiliency of global ecosystems).

I try to criticize toeing the illogical, misrepresentative, conflationary (and deflationary), denialist's line.

===
As for the link (was I wrong to assume?); I have looked at it many other times and, along with others, commented on it ...not temperature, but rate of increase.... regardless of slope, still above" zero increase" for the whole time....
A graph must be viewed in context. If you really want to discuss it (most Dec. '07 posts were deleted on this subject) again, there are still several Topics featuring this graph; and I'll participate.
===

As for Nigel ...equating the mountain of evidence with a "mountain of nonsense."
Some people just don't have a very high opinion of science and it's use of evidence.

There is no truth, only consequences.

...no true answer as to what the future climate will be.
It could be a runaway greenhouse, but I doubt it. Earth seems to have only two modes; Ice-Age or Not.
The Not Ice-Age usually just amounts to "struggling" to get out of the Ice-Age until some other catastrophe comes along to knock the system back to it's "ground state" Ice-Age (please don't quote this, I realize it is unjustifiably oversimplified to the point of being completely wrong... but I think it conveys my "gut feeling" of how to interpret a climate system).

Regardless of what the Truth turns out to be, there will be Consequences for the decreasing resilience that we impose on our ecosystem services, and for the increasing instability that we place on the climate systems.

Denialist can point out that plenty of meteors have missed Earth before; but....
If a meteor is headed for your planet, I think it's okay to raise some alarm bells. Don't you?
confused

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.