The reports you hear are reports made for sensationalism.

According to CNN.com

There have been 4,131 coalition deaths -- 3,830 Americans, two Australians, 171 Britons, 13 Bulgarians, one Czech, seven Danes, two Dutch, two Estonians, one Fijian, one Hungarian, 33 Italians, one Kazakh, one Korean, three Latvian, 21 Poles, two Romanians, five Salvadoran, four Slovaks, 11 Spaniards, two Thai and 18 Ukrainians -- in the war in Iraq as of October 18, 2007, according to a CNN count. This may not sound very humanitarian on my part, but this is not an expensive war as far as Coalition forces go. In Vietnam the United States of America had lost 58,226 soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines in a similar time period. In Korea the United States lost slightly over 33,000 men in the three years of that war, and in the Civil War we lost over 43,434 men in just the Battle of Gettysburg.

Coberst, you say that you were an enlisted soldier in the U.S. Army, so I ask you, do these numbers seem like the war is going that badly for America? The Answer is no, and the reason the media makes it look grim is to not tell us the truth, but to keep us watching their channel or to keep us reading their publication. I guess this sort of trashes your postulation that a journalist is trained to be honest. I hope, that I answered your question here. I am at work and have been pulled in so many directions while writing this, that I can’t remember why I wrote this.