I have not been to Africa- and I read the article. In my opinion it is rubbish. AIDS means not as stated in the article, a virus that makes you sick but a virus that lowers your immunity to a stage where other diseases are able to get a good go at killing you. You die of TB, pneumomia, cancers of various sorts and often suffer from awful wasting etc. Infection runs through the body, even in doe-eyed young girls who want to be models.

It is possible to not catch AIDS in western counries. Sexual absinance will do it, if that is not possible then casual sexual encounters when the partners' HIV status is unknown, should always include a condom. Sharing needles is silly, as is any behaviour that includes blood mixing....etc. That's all fine for western countries we've known about it for years and can make an informed choice regarding risk. However it may be harder in Africa where the Government told people that AIDS did not exist, but if they got it then garlic, lemon and rhubarb infused together would cure it. Now I believe, thanks to the help of the WHO, generic drugs are available so that at least some of the population can afford them.

Denying that AIDS exists is silly--- but denying that it is preventable is worse.