Not a senior moment at all.

I am more than well aware that some percentage of those who follow Islam don't particularly like my government and my culture and several western religions.

I am also aware of the fact that keeping them under our thumbs by out-reproducing them is roughly equivalent to cutting off your own nose because you don't like your face. It would seem to me that people as wise as yourself and Blacknad could come up with an alternative or two.

Here are a few from my list.

1. Get our own house in order. Put decent resources behind moving from oil to fusion and stop subsidizing hate with dollars.

2. Stop selling weapons and technology to people for purposes of war just because it generates profits.

3. Stop hypocritically messing around in the affairs of other countries.

4. Sincerely apologize for having messed around in their affairs in the past.

5. Provide foreign aid only for education and health and never again for military purposes.

No doubt any reasonable person could add to my list but it gives a flavour of what could be done.

And if it were I've no doubt in a hundred or so years the people of a particular religious persuasion would either modify their behaviour or become irrelevant to those of us that have.

One thing I think we can all agree on looking back at the previous 2000 years of history. What we have been doing has not worked.

DA Morgan