redewenur - quote from the article you told me to look:
Now, you can't say these are transcendent experiences because the people are unconsciousness. You can't say they are psychological because the brain isn't working. You can look at physiological models as to what state the brain is in, and if the brain function won't support the experience you have to argue that mind and brain are separate.
"So, let's look at the physiological state of the brain and body at the time of reported NDEs. No detectable cardiac output, no respiratory output - they certainly weren't breathing. Neither did they have any brain stem reflexes - in other words they was no activity whatsoever in the brain.
"The NDE experiencers say that they didn't have the experience before the heart attack occurred. We know that it couldn't have occurred during the recovery of consciousness because in such cases the mind is very confused and the reported experiences are very lucid and clear.
"So we are left with a real scientific problem. It looks as if what the NDE experiencers are saying is probably correct. Now, if that's true then you have to say some very fundamental things about brain and mind. That carries a huge cost and consequence for science. So research in this area has to be done properly. But it looks as if mind and brain - if the data is correct - are separate."

now, i cant safely speek about this with knowledge i have, but the fact is that there were certain experiments and events that confirm this and are not likely to be explained. also, there are certain informations about free forms of energy that people like to call ghosts and which can be related to this phenomena.
NDE could be, but doesn't have to be connected to God or spiritual world, could be some chemical reaction that occurs in millisecond (or less), a protein, a hormon...they say it can't be, but how can they be sure? the brain is not yet explained!