Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous Comeback of the condor - 05/18/06 01:08 AM
"WESTERN Native American tribes believed that California condors were sacred beings, capable of supernatural powers. Maybe they were on to something. Monday's sighting of a nesting condor pair in Big Sur is nothing short of miraculous."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/30/EDGU9GJGAQ1.DTL

Keeping track of these condors is likely to be a big job for some ornithologists. How about we back off and let these magnificent bird breed in peace?
Posted By: I. S. Re: Comeback of the condor - 05/18/06 02:32 AM
I think monitoring is definitely called for given the fragility of the species. Somehow I think this Herculean task is one ornithologists will relish.

Great news, by the way.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comeback of the condor - 05/21/06 09:01 PM
Perhaps they'll have to draw lots to see who gets to monitor the condors? It would be nice if there were that much interest in them. I hope they don't end up disturbing the birds too much. I wouldn't want to have a bunch of prying eyes looking into my nest, if I were them.
Posted By: Kethrie Re: Comeback of the condor - 06/23/06 09:59 PM
This is wonderful news, there have been reports of other species coming back from the brink as well. Something i hope everyone in the world will take note of and learn from our past mistakes as well as your future ones that are being made now.
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums