Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: paul why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/29/14 04:40 PM
thimerosal is found in vaccines as a preservative.

mercury is found in thimerosal.

50% of the content of thimerosal is mercury.

Quote:
Thimerosal, which is approximately 50% mercury by weight, has been one of the most widely used preservatives in vaccines. It is metabolized or degraded to ethylmercury and thiosalicylate. Ethylmercury is an organomercurial that should be distinguished from methylmercury, a related substance that has been the focus of considerable study (see "Guidelines on Exposure to Organomercurials" and "Thimerosal Toxicity", below).

At concentrations found in vaccines, thimerosal meets the requirements for a preservative as set forth by the United States Pharmacopeia; that is, it kills the specified challenge organisms and is able to prevent the growth of the challenge fungi (U.S. Pharmacopeia 2004). Thimerosal in concentrations of 0.001% (1 part in 100,000) to 0.01% (1 part in 10,000) has been shown to be effective in clearing a broad spectrum of pathogens. A vaccine containing 0.01% thimerosal as a preservative contains 50 micrograms of thimerosal per 0.5 mL dose or approximately 25 micrograms of mercury per 0.5 mL dose.

Prior to its introduction in the 1930's, data were available in several animal species and humans providing evidence for its safety and effectiveness as a preservative (Powell and Jamieson 1931). Since then, thimerosal has been the subject of several studies (see Bibliography) and has a long record of safe and effective use preventing bacterial and fungal contamination of vaccines, with no ill effects established other than minor local reactions at the site of injection.

While the use of mercury-containing preservatives has declined in recent years with the development of new products formulated with alternative or no preservatives, thimerosal has been used in some immune globulin preparations, anti-venins, skin test antigens, and ophthalmic and nasal products, in addition to certain vaccines. Under the FDA Modernization Act of 1997, the FDA compiled a list of regulated products containing mercury, including those with thimerosal (Federal Register 1999). It is important to note that this list was compiled in 1999; some products listed are no longer manufactured and many products have been reformulated without thimerosal. Updated lists of vaccines and their thimerosal content can be found in Table 1 (routinely recommended pediatric vaccines) and Table 3 (expanded list of vaccines).

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228#thi

if mercury is only in the vaccines as a preservative to kill pathogens then why cant another pathogen killer be used in the place of mercury.

why couldn't silver be used for instance.

would silver be as dangerous as mercury.
silver is known to be highly effective as a preservative.

Quote:
Mercury is the second most toxic element on earth to plutonium. Toxicity of mercury has been linked to many different diseases, including autism, learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritis, depression, and bipolar disorder. The amount of mercury found in one mercury thermometer is enough to pollute a small lake.

Health effects of mercury toxicity have been a concern because of the potential for it to act as a poison. Toxic doses of mercury can cause developmental effects in the fetus, as well as affecting the kidney and the nervous system in children and adults. Mercury exists in a number of different chemical forms, each one consisting of different levels of toxicity. The forms of mercury can also be converted from one to another in the environment and in the body, so symptoms caused by mercury poisoning depends on the precise chemical forms involved.

Mercury can be toxic when inhaled, eaten, or when placed on the skin. Low concentrations of mercury may appear to have no effect but signs of toxicity can develop later or become more noticeable with continued exposure. When toxicity in humans takes place loss of feeling or a burning sensation in arms and legs, psychological effects, loss of memory, loss of vision, loss of hearing, paralysis, congenital malformations, kidney toxicity, and death may occur. Prenatal toxicity can result in a child with normal appearance at birth but who later exhibits a developmental delay in the ability to walk and/or talk. Because of the long latent period for observable effects, the need for treatment may be recognized too late.

Health effects vary according to the amount of mercury exposure is taken into the body. The health risks of mercury at low levels of exposure remain uncertain, but this continues to be a highly debatable topic with ongoing scientific investigation. Fetuses, infants and small children appear to be particularly sensitive to mercury because their brains are still developing. Vaccines with mercury have been considered to contribute to autism, learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s Disease, and other neurological conditions, and an FDA review conducted in 1998 determined that, at the time, children who received the full complement of childhood vaccines were potentially exposed to levels of mercury that were sometimes 30 to 50 times the acceptable levels established by the EPA.

High-level exposures to mercury can cause serious effects or even be lethal. Several historical examples of epidemic mercury poisonings in other parts of the world provide classic examples of investigative epidemiology and toxicology and serve to highlight the reasons why regulators are concerned about mercury. Effects on the brain and nervous system are frequently seen with high-level exposures to mercury and can be quite severe.

http://www.thimerosal-autism-symptoms.com/html/mercury.html

is the reason that big pharma uses mercury because of the
long term effects of mercury that mercury presents to those
who are injected with mercury?

in other words is mercury really the best preservative or
is big pharma lining up future income from the illnesses
that are the result of using mercury in vaccines.

Posted By: Bill Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/29/14 05:47 PM
Originally Posted By: CDC
Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is not used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines.

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930's. There is no convincing evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site. However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.

Bill Gill
Posted By: Revlgking Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/29/14 11:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill
Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is not used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines.

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930's. ... However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.

Bill Gill
Bill G, assuming that you are one who loves integrity and is familiar with the science issues involved in this thread, may I--a lover of the INTEGRAL approach to the philosophies, sciences and the arts, since, as a teenager, I first heard those words--ask you:

What, in your mind, ARE the issues involved, here--including any RED flags you may detect?

ME? I was born Jan. 14, 1930. So now you know that I am on my way to being 85, next January. It would be interesting to know: How many of us, from that year, are still with in this 3D dimension.

Not wanting to be a 3D being, forever; I am practising getting ready for the forth dimension.

BTW, in 1954-1955--as a graduate student at https://www.google.ca/#q=Boston+University+school+of+theology connected with the Harvard School of theology,--I just missed meeting Martin Luther King, one of 500, who was born, January 15, 1929.
Posted By: Bill Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/30/14 02:57 AM
Guest Post: The Real Dangers of Mercury

Bill Gill
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/30/14 06:13 AM
Quote:
There is no convincing evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site.

Quote:
However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.

precautionary measure!

Quote:
Since 2001

after 71 years of non caution.

so only about 80% of the population has had the
non caution measured mercury injections?

silver looking flakes in the vial...( not actual silver )

Quote:
As for those 'imagined' silver flakes. Neither Benedetta, nor myself claimed them to be mercury in pure metal form, but they were obviously some kind of mercury containing precipitate.

Quote:
I do know that my kids DPT vials were shaken, by different nurses...I could actually see the silver flakes in the vial."

Scary or what!! "Thimerosal should be stored at room temperature protected from light", according to the Sigma product instructions, but vaccines require refridgeration. I can only shudder about those 'silver flakes' in the vials, injected into Benedetta's, (and GOD knows how many other) children.

Quote:
I do know that my kids DPT vials were shaken, by different nurses.

A young nurse that acted very conscientious got the vial out of the refrig, turned her watch over to her wrist so she could time it and then proceeded to turn it upside down and right side up during the alloted time- in a rather gentle manner.

I could actually see the silver flakes in the vial.

http://www.ageofautism.com/2012/12/the-british-dimension-the-who-mercury-cover-up-and-the-cdc.html

Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/30/14 10:17 AM
WOW I am terribly worried smile

Perhaps you need to look at the average human intake of mercury

http://copublications.greenfacts.org/en/dental-amalgam/figtableboxes/table-1.htm

The intake from vaccines is only a fraction of estimated daily intake and you have it once a blue moon ... but hey it makes a great fantasy story smile

All I can say I hope you don't eat fish or have amalgam fillings if that rubbish worries you.

Personally I would take the odds of mercury poisoning any day over whatever the vaccine is stopping but hey you feel free to not take them Paul we just might get lucky yet smile
Posted By: Bill Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/30/14 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Orac

Personally I would take the odds of mercury poisoning any day over whatever the vaccine is stopping but hey you feel free to not take them Paul we just might get lucky yet

I recall when I was young that I had most of the usual childhood diseases. Measles, chicken pox, mumps (kind of twice, I swelled up on one side, went down, then swelled up on the other side) I think whooping cough. When I was 7 I had something that nearly killed me. I don't remember it very well, mostly when I was recovering. I remember how good that poached egg tasted. It was the first "solid" food I had when I started getting better.

My sister had scarlet fever. For that we were quarantined. And afterward they treated the house with burning sulfur. That was standard practice at the time.

And of course there was always the worry about polio. None of us got it, but it was the big worry for parents.

There were plenty of normal childhood diseases that killed a number of children every year. My oldest sister died when she was about a year and a half old. This was in the "good old days" when we weren't being destroyed by all thse vaccines that are making us sick.

So I am with you Orac. The vaccines are really a lot better than what we get without them.

Bill Gill
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/30/14 03:34 PM
Im not worried about the mercury myself.

because I never get vaccines or shots , I don't even
remember the last time I had a shot.

I had the full round of immunization shots and the polio
sugar cubes in elementary school and the yearly round
of immunization injections in the service because I went
to a lot of different countries.

I used to get very sick during the winter months usually
because of the flu and then another flu then some other illness similar to the flu , every single year.

maybe we were sickness test subjects.

this happened every single year of my life until I stopped
getting shots and taking prescribed medicines and started using over the counter preventatives and cures that can
be bought in almost any health food store.

I went to a regular doctor back in 1989...

I don't get the flu anymore...
I don't get a cold anymore...

because I take preventative cautionary measures myself.

but you get sick several times every year , and so does bill
and Im right about that.
Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/30/14 05:07 PM
Can't remember the last time I was sick .... think it was probably from food poisoning in Mexico which is a couple of years ago.

To really throw your theory I have to have a Flu shot every year because I have a close friend with cancer who I visit regularly.

There goes that great theory that is about as good as some from Marosz smile
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/30/14 10:01 PM
Quote:
Can't remember the last time I was sick .... think it was probably from food poisoning in Mexico which is a couple of years ago.

but that would only be true if it were true.

and I would only believe it , if I had a reason to believe you.

from what I have witnessed so far the truth comes out of you
only when you deem it necessary to accomplish a goal of yours.
so I have no reason to believe it.

It would be really hard for me to believe anyone about anything
who has turned his back on reality and chosen to follow a path
of fantasy such as QM.

Im sorry to hear about your friend with cancer , I hope you are
waiting at least 21 days after you get the treatment before you visit
him / her if you are getting the spray ( live virus ).

the spreadable side affects of the spray are
runny nose and coughing...

and each of these can infect others.

Posted By: Revlgking Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 04/30/14 10:26 PM
Thanks, Bill G, for taking the trouble to find and to send us this valuable evidence-based info that will help us be healthier people--physically, mentally and spiritually, an interest of mine since I first became aware of being ME--a spiritual being with a mind and a body.
=========================================
ANATOMY OF AN ILLNESS (1979), by Norman Cousins
Comments by people who read it, including me, The RevLGK:
Quote:
It was the first book by a patient that spoke to our current interest in taking charge of our own health. It started the revolution in patients.

Diagnosed with a life-threatening and incurable condition, Cousins checked himself out of the hospital and basically healed himself with laughter, rest and Vitamin C.

A few years later, he recovered from a major heart attack on his own and wrote about that, too.

These books jump-started the whole field of mind-body medicine. Hundreds of books have followed in its tradition, for example, The Art of Getting Well:

Anatomy of an Illness holds up well. It's still relevant.

Not everything here will apply to most readers, because Cousins was a major cultural figure with many physicians among his friends. Not everyone would have his self-confidence or his sources of support.

But his ideas and his approach are more needed than ever today.

ABOUT NORMAN COUSINS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Cousins

Ten years later (1989), he wrote another great book, HEAD FIRST--The Biology of Hope, which I read, underlined and, to which, I added many notes.
===============================
HERE IS A TITLE I LIKE: SPIRIT FIRST--The Effect of Faith Hope & LOVE, Biologically Speaking, On the Mind and the Body
Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/01/14 01:57 AM
Originally Posted By: paul
but that would only be true if it were true.

and I would only believe it , if I had a reason to believe you.

Hmm strange I thought the same thing of your claim and I have seen how those in your religion lie. "You shall not bear false witness" is sort of only a guideline and it's way down at number nine and a quick ask for forgiveness to the ethereal goat and it's all fixed.

Don't you love the internet ... the truth is a moving target.

Ok tell you what lets settle this last one to drop dead was telling the truth smile

I think GOD must be like Rev K says kind and gentle or else he has a great sense of humour because he still hasn't struck me down yet much to your disappointment.
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/01/14 05:58 AM
Quote:
Ok tell you what lets settle this last one to drop dead was telling the truth

uh oh !

are you still alive? LOL

maybe we should just believe that what we believe to be the
truth is the truth and leave it to that.

however that type of thought in the back of our minds might
just help either of us to recover from an illness just to
spite the other.
Posted By: Revlgking Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/01/14 08:06 PM
Orac, to Paul you said,
Originally Posted By: Orac
... Ok tell you what! Let's settle this last one to drop dead was telling the truth smile

I think GOD must be like Rev K says, kind and gentle or else he has a great sense of humour because he still hasn't struck me down yet much to your disappointment.
Thanks for using the acronym GOD.

As I have said, often. I am NOT a theist--that is, one who believes there is a 'god' or one called, 'God', who has dimensions and who lives in spacetime, like we do--and as do IDOLS.

The 'God' [a proper noun] of theism, like all idols, is an easy target for atheists.

However, I am not an atheist, or even an AGNOSTIC--a useful word, BTW, which the great Julian Huxley created back the 1930s.

Orac, how about you? Atheist? Agnostic? Or what?

Paul, as one who respects all sincerely-held beliefs especially beliefs that help make the world a better place for all, I pause here and I ask you, politely: Are you a theist? Or what? If so, how do you respond to those who are not theists?
==============
ME? I AM A UNITHEIST
For me, it is a special way of thinking about 'god', what I like to call G~Õ~D.

PURE COINCIDENCE? OR DID G~Õ~D DO IT?

It still amazes me to think that the following really did happen: Warren Farr--an artist from Paducah, Ill., who I met, serendipitously, while surfing the NET--and I came up with name, UNITHEISM including the ideas behind this philosophy of religion, AT THE SAME TIME. BTW, we have never met, in person.

I think this happened before or close to 2004. Here is a site, about the philosophy, we agreed to create: www.unitheist.org

We work together and have a group on FaceBook. Check it out and join the group of 61 https://www.facebook.com/groups/unitheism/?ref=br_tf
Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/02/14 03:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Orac, how about you? Atheist? Agnostic? Or what?

I am not really any of these I am open to there being a GOD but if there is a GOD I also know that entity must make sense within the structure of the universe.

The universe is so vast and so complex that it can not be entirely about humans and our here and now. It is so vast we could not possibly ever go and discover every part of it. So I have problems with religions that make everything about humans and here and now and ones that deal with apocalyptic endings of earth because that is not the end of the universe.

So much of my problem with religions is they concentrate on humans and our behaviour and we are a small fraction of what is in the universe. Sure our morality is important but it is not what drives the universe and I am not convinced that we were entirely what GOD is about.

Recently I saw something I thought I would never see which was a religious piece allowed on a very scientific site at the reference frame on Hinduism.

http://motls.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/hinduism-for-physicists.html

I was a little uneasy about the posting because although that religion does indeed seem to embrace science (at least in the version expressed by the poster) it can't help but create divisions in religion. You will note it couldn't help but offend some like Paul with it's comments

Originally Posted By: Kashyap Vasavada
At the same time, scientists should protest against ideas of young Earth creationism, intelligent design and anti-evolution propaganda.

Your religion Rev K appears to fold in and around science in a similar way and I suspect you could write a similar article but what it does is opens up conflicts with those that are in direct contradiction to science.

So I am against mixing religion and science because it simply promotes argument.

I have no issue with Paul for example having views that are directly violated by science. However we are supposedly a science site and if he wants to open a flame war I will more than happily engage because we have little moderation as you know with your exploits with TT.

An American friend of mine has a great joke

Q: what is worse than a man at your door with a gun?
A: A man at your door with a bible, you can legally shoot the man with the gun.
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/02/14 05:19 AM
Rev and Orac

this thread is not about religion , orac for someone who
has such a hatred for religions as you do you certainly do
love to talk about religion.

rev for someone who does not believe in God you sure do like
to impose your version of what you want God to be in threads
that are not about religion.

amaranth could you please keep people from posting off topic?
Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/02/14 06:09 AM
ROFL would you like me to show you some of your posts that you have dumped in threads that is completely off topic ..... we have had several flames wars over them smile

BTW I don't hate religions I just hate that some religious people feel they have to come onto a science forum to attack science ... hmm I wonder what would happen if I joined a religion forum to attack them with science .... IT IS CALLED TROLLING and you are a prime specimen.

This whole tread is a TROLL ... science is bad and evil .... blah blah blah .... insert usual Paul rant here.

I am happy to try and obey the on topic general guideline but it was one post which rev asked a question and I was answering what did you want me to do make a new thread to answer it?

That said I do not intend to expand on the religious answer in this thread but no doubt the science is bad and evil garbage will continue and you aren't exactly discussing the science of the issue are you laugh
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/02/14 03:26 PM
Quote:
science is bad and evil garbage

I see your finally awakening to the putrid reality of what
science has become , something akin to a whore house.

theres really nothing wrong with the house / science itself but the inhabitants / scientist give the house a bad name because of what they do while they work for money.

if you and mr lgking would like to discuss some topic
that is unrelated to science then either of you can start a topic in the NQS forum.
Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/02/14 05:51 PM
And like this trash is science?????

Why isn't it in the NQS section you just admitted what this is really about smile

Please show me any reference that you have discussed that actually qualifies as science in this thread.

IT IS A PIECE OF TROLL RUBBISH THREAD ... IT'S NOT LIKE WE COULD MAKE IT WORSE.
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/03/14 06:40 AM
this thread is about science , you and mr lgking may have
vectored it in another direction , but the topic is about
science.

if science cannot withstand criticism of a product that scientist have produced and injected into millions and possibly billions of people then would you say that science
is scientific?

should science just dictate to the world and no one should
ever question science because science is so perfect that it
never need be questioned.

nothing in science is perfect and science constantly changes
its currently prevalent ideas for better ideas that perform
better.

you of all should know this, you being a QM crackpot.

Posted By: Bill Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/03/14 03:35 PM
OK, let's get back to some science. The level of mercury in vaccines is about .01%.
Quote:
A vaccine containing 0.01% thimerosal as a preservative contains 50 micrograms of thimerosal per 0.5 mL dose or approximately 25 micrograms of mercury per 0.5 mL dose.

That is about 20 ppm. That sounds terrible. But then the dose is 0.5 mL. So the total is pretty low. Then let's look at some fish. I did a check. I found a site that lists the mercury levels in various fish. The lowest level I found was .009 ppm and the highest was about 1 (there were a few that were higher, but I'm not a shark eater). So let's say that the average is 0.5 ppm. Then for a 6 ounce (170,000mg) serving of fish we get .085 mg of mercury.

Paul, I hope you have completely given up on eating fish.

Bill Gill
Posted By: Revlgking Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/03/14 08:05 PM
Stimulating comments, Paul. About the question implied in the thread title:

Who first asked, Why is Mercury Used in Vaccines? You? I assume the answer given is:

Because certain science experts say: IT WORKS EFFECTIVELY!

Do we agree that this is so, or not so?
One thing is So though, & not just SO,SO:
We are back on topic, and ready to GO GO!
We also have a verse to show that it is SO! laugh
Now, GO,GO,GO!!!
Rev and Orac ... amaranth could you please keep people from posting off topic?
Paul you say to Orac,
Quote:
this thread is not about religion, orac for someone who has such a hatred for religions as you do you certainly do love to talk about religion.
Paul, are you sure? Where has Orac ever said to anyone--and certainly not to me--that he "hates all religions"?
You also say to me,
Quote:
rev for someone who does not believe in God you sure do like to impose your version of what you want God to be in threads that are not about religion.
My theology (opinion & belief) BTW, is unitheism. Now where is your scientific evidence that I impose my theology, or my interpretation of the Bible on anyone? The Bible, for me, is a document which I study and respect. But unless there is evidence to the contrary, the Bible is not the infallible word of an infallible 'god' theists call 'God'

I repeat: My theology, unitheism, is a collection of my opinions and my beliefs--opinions that inspire me to live, "as one that serves" As Jesus put it in Luke. It is my desire to do good for others into concrete actions.

As a lover of the democratic approach to life, I offer all good ideas, of all the sincere religions, to be part of an open dialogue. I abhor doctrinaire and dogmatic demagoguery which appeals to common prejudice. Therefore, I invite one and all to the dialogue about this at: "Philosophy of Religions--all religions ..."

IN LUKE 22:27, Jesus said, I AM AMONG YOU AS ONE WHO SERVES--the role of a good scientist, eh!
BTW, Paul, allow me to assume that you are a Bible-believing Christian theist, right? If it works for you, makes you a good person and helps you live, "as one who serves", words that Jesus used to describe his mission, go for it!

Question: Can you think of any religion which has never imposed itself, its sacred literature--its Book, Bible, Koran, its teachings and the like, on others?
Posted By: Revlgking Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/03/14 08:24 PM
OK, let's get back to some science. The level of mercury in vaccines is about .01%.
[quote]A vaccine containing 0.01% thimerosal as a preservative contains 50 micrograms of thimerosal per 0.5 mL dose or approximately 25 micrograms of mercury per 0.5 mL dose.
Bill, I have questions:
in your opinion (IYO), are vaccines safe? And, is the use of mercury in vaccines a MUST?
Who are the experts? Are they worthy of our trust?

Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/04/14 04:15 AM
The figures on intake of an average adult and baby of mercury I posted above Rev K. If they aren't safe there are a hell of a lot more things that are even more unsafe like eating fish and eating certain vegetables like spinach and they should be banned.

The biggest risk by far from vaccines is adverse reactions to the vaccine itself and hence why it requires rigorous testing.

Those are USA figures the numbers from China are a lot more scary because it estimated by China itself that 25% of it's agriculture land is polluted with heavy metals

Source: https://www.chinafile.com/Almost-One-Fifth-Chinas-Arable-Land-Polluted

A lot of this argument is very American centric .. hey at least it is not guns laugh

That said as was recognized above is they are taking steps to reduce the levels of mercury because this is the latest argument by the anti-vacination nutters. Personally I don't see the point most of these groups have a background issue (religion/anti tech etc) as to why they oppose vaccinations and you will never convince them they will find the next thing to complain about.

For anyone worried about their levels of mercury in their body there is a whole industry in the alternative lifestyle arena built around detox of it out of the body smile

Unfortunately what many who fall victim to this stuff don't consider is they are simply falling victim to another advertising campaign to buy something they don't really need. I guess it is one up from killing Rhino for the horns to improve your sexual function because at least in general no animals died for these detox "cures".

Personally for adults I support people should have the right to do what they think best and that includes Euthanasia which puts me at odds with many religions. The tricky part comes with children who can't make a choice and and so we get the argument does the parent or the government get to decide for a child?
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/04/14 05:18 AM
the below isnt from me , its from the FDA.

Quote:
Vaccines with mercury have been considered to contribute to autism, learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s Disease, and other neurological conditions, and an FDA review conducted in 1998 determined that, at the time, children who received the full complement of childhood vaccines were potentially exposed to levels of mercury that were sometimes 30 to 50 times the acceptable levels established by the EPA.

High-level exposures to mercury can cause serious effects or even be lethal. Several historical examples of epidemic mercury poisonings in other parts of the world provide classic examples of investigative epidemiology and toxicology and serve to highlight the reasons why regulators are concerned about mercury. Effects on the brain and nervous system are frequently seen with high-level exposures to mercury and can be quite severe.
Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/04/14 12:30 PM
Again those were historic not what currently happens and the levels are still well below what many babies in other countries routinely are exposed to.

America has acted by law to meet it's own regulations and those levels are very low by world standards you don't see massive problems in other countries so the risk was very low.

The realty is if you measure how many children die to gun accidents in there own home it would put the risk in sharp context but then the Nation Riflemen Association probably would complain because they are all good guys apparently laugh

The grim story of children and guns in USA is rather grim

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/he...ticle-1.1592703

Quote:
About 20 children and teens per day in the U.S. went to the emergency room with a gun injury in 2009, according to a new study of ER data. Six percent ultimately died from their injuries.

I am not sure vaccinations goes anywhere near those numbers or is it's biggest problem, let us at least put all the risks in perspective for children in USA.
Posted By: Bill Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/04/14 02:30 PM
the below isnt from me , its from the FDA.

Quote:
Vaccines with mercury have been considered to contribute to autism, learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s Disease, and other neurological conditions, and an FDA review conducted in 1998 determined that, at the time, children who received the full complement of childhood vaccines were potentially exposed to levels of mercury that were sometimes 30 to 50 times the acceptable levels established by the EPA.

Can you give me a link to where the FDA has this posted? I would like to see the original report.

Bill Gill
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/04/14 04:42 PM
the link to the page that I quoted is in the first post in this thread.

from what I understand doctors are aware that vaccines that
do not contain thimerosal are available but are still using
the vaccines containing thimerosal because they are still
on the shelf and still available to purchase.

and the FDA wants thimerosal removed as a preservative.

which brings us back to the title of this topic

" why is mercury used in vaccines "

here is some more to read.

http://cerhr.niehs.nih.gov/common/mercury.html

here is the FDA web site

http://www.fda.gov/

here is where big pharma showed its appreciation and gave a
$226,000.00 donation and bought 5000 copies of a senators book.

Quote:
Frist's bill would protect Eli Lilly and other vaccine makers from lawsuits, including the growing controversy of thimerosal. When writing the bill, Frist consulted with Eli Lilly, as well as other interested parties. In 2002, Eli Lilly and the company's employees contributed $226,250 to the National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee that Frist has led. When Frist wrote a book on bioterrorism that was published following the September 11, 2001 attacks, Eli Lilly bought 5,000 copies of it and distributed the book to doctors around the U.S.

now don't ask me why you cant find the document if you cant
find it , just ask the $226,000.00 what it did with it.

http://www.thimerosal-litigation.com/

Posted By: Bill Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/04/14 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Paul
the link to the page that I quoted is in the first post in this thread.

I can't find that quote in the link to the government web page. I did find it in the link to the anti-vaccination web page. That doesn't count as being from the FDA, it counts as an unconfirmed quote. It is not from the FDA as you stated.

The original study which implicated vaccines in autism has been completely refuted and withdrawn.

Bill Gill
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/04/14 09:20 PM
Quote:
It is not from the FDA as you stated.

I didn't state it , the info on the link did.

maybe they had a dead link because corrupt politics was
able to refute and withdraw the document so they removed
the dead link.

also I couldn't find it either , so I guess that the 1/4 million dollar contribution paid off.

or was it the 5000 copies of the senators book.

anyway its nice to know that big pharma is allowed to consult
with elected officials while they are writing bills that would
protect them from lawsuits that might be pursued by the people
who elected them.

this way big pharma writes the laws that govern big pharma
and they only need to contribute to election funds and buy books for doctors written by senators who also write
the laws in return.

Quote:
Lilly boosted the sales of Frist's book on bioterrorism, published after Sept. 11, 2001, by buying 5,000 copies and distributing them to doctors.

Smith, Frist's spokesman, said Lilly's promotion of the book did not affect the company's relationship with the senator.

"All of the book sales were handled by the publisher," Smith said. "I don't know that Senator Frist knew who was buying how many copies at what time."

As the head of the political committee to elect Republican senators, Frist was heavily involved in fund raising.

The pharmaceutical and health products industry gave the Republican campaign committee nearly $4 million, the largest amount from a corporate contributor, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Jamie Court, executive director of the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights, said the liability protection is the drug companies' "first payback" for big campaign contributions.

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/DailyNews/December2002/FristsNewSenate24.htm

Quote:
The original study which implicated vaccines in autism has been completely refuted and withdrawn.

do you have a link to that info?

or has that info been refuted and withdrawn also?

if it hasn't yet been refuted and withdrawn as you call it
how much of a contribution would it take to get it refuted and withdrawn?

and to which political party should the bribe be addresses to?

Posted By: Bill Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/05/14 12:28 AM
I don't see why I am supposed to do all the research on real science while you get by with only using fake science. Do a search and you will find plenty of places where the connection between vaccines and autism have been completely refuted in many studies. Nobody was ever able to duplicate the information in the one study that claimed such a connection. That is one of the major points of scientific research. All experiments must be repeatable and give the same results or it is wrong.

Bill Gill
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/05/14 03:05 AM
you did ask me this about what I posted.

Quote:
Can you give me a link to where the FDA has this posted? I would like to see the original report.

then you said this

Quote:

I would like to read the document that shows that
The original study which implicated vaccines in autism
has been completely refuted and withdrawn.

if its in plenty of places then you should have no problem finding and posting the link.

after all if its not fake science then it must be in there with the real science
somewhere.. maybe it will pop up in a parallel
universe and you can find it with a QM browser.

Quote:
Nobody was ever able to duplicate the information in the one study that claimed such a connection.

could I suggest that the 4 million dollars had
something to do with that?

I wonder where the original documents from the original study are located.

Posted By: Bill Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/05/14 02:16 PM
Paul, you're the one making the outrageous unscientific claims. So you are the one that needs to prove them.

Bill Gill
Posted By: paul Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/05/14 02:31 PM
Quote:
So you are the one that needs to prove them.

I take it that you just made up your claims then
if you cant provide any reference to what you claimed.

Quote:
you're the one making the outrageous unscientific claims.

if I have made outrageous unscientific claims then would
you be so kind as to point them out to me?

we being myself and the readers of the forum cant just take your word for it , we need some type of
reference material.

that's why I asked you for a link to your claim.

Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/05/14 03:40 PM
Paul you made a claim that the levels of Mercury where 20-50 times over the FDA levels ... that is a claim to anyone who can read.

Bill has challenged you to show that is so because he can find no reference to that from the FDA .... pretty basic even for you I would have thought.

So it's either an unsubstantiated claim or the evidence of the claim exists.

Personally I don't care all these levels are really low perhaps google what the average level is in Japan in babies and adults.
Posted By: Bill Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/05/14 07:36 PM
Ok, I admit I am a wimp, I didn't stand my ground. I went ahead and did some research on the topic.

Here is the Wikipedia article on Adam Wakefield who was the one that made the first claim.

And I'm not going to list a bunch of links that point to refutations of Wakefield's claims. Instead here is a link to the Google search results.

I think that should cover the field. There seem to be a lot of results that completely refute the vaccine autism connection. The first questions were raised when nobody else could repeat Wakefield's works. Since then there has been no reliable study that provides any indication of such a connection. And that is how science works.

And of course according to the Wikipedia article it appears Wakefield deliberately falsified his results.

Bill Gill
Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/05/14 08:19 PM
You can definitively refute Wakefield go and look at what happened in Japan they stopped the MMR injections in 1993 and the Autism rate continued to spiral upward hitting a new high last year of 1 in 38 children.
Posted By: Revlgking Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/05/14 11:53 PM
AS ONE WHO RESPECTS ALL USEFUL SCIENCE, I ASK,
Has anyone ever asked the following questions:

How safe is it to vaccinate people with very weak immune systems?

Or, what about people who are simply starving for lack of essential, or even basic nutrients?
Posted By: Amaranth Rose II Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/06/14 04:14 AM
As far as vaccinating people with very weak immune systems, it would be practical to use a killed virus vaccine and not a live attenuated one. However, the whole point of a person with a weak immune system is that they don't produce normal levels of antibodies, so vaccinating them is probably an exercise in futility, if you think about it.

People who are in a severely deficient nutritional state probably don't have the energy to spare to mount an immune response, but I expect it would have some success.

Wakefield has been refuted, but he got more press than the ones who did the refuting, and so it has gone on and on. Thimerosal or no thimerosal, the autism rate has gone upward at a dizzying rate. As Orac noted, autism is on the rise even in countries that don't use thimerosal-treated vaccines. If it is an environmental thing, there must be more of it in Japan than here in the US. We know so little about autism that it is hard to say definitively that any one thing is a cause.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/for-children-with-autism-brain-abnormalities-may-begin-in-utero/

New evidence suggests that the brains of autistic children have structural differences when compared to the brains of non-autistic children. Research suggests these changes are present by the second or third trimester of pregnancy. It would be hard to show any effect of thimerosal at that stage of development.
Posted By: Orac Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/06/14 05:42 AM
From what I was reading it appears that the identical twin studies are actually also showing it is what happens in the womb that matters for those who have the genetic disposition and then the enviromental factors feed into that.

It looks like it is a very complex mechanism and it is as much about the mothers lifestyle as it is the child.
Posted By: Amaranth Rose II Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/06/14 09:58 AM
It is a very complex mechanism. The brain does so much developing while in utero, and after birth up to about age 3-4, that it is hard to pinpoint any one factor as being contributory to the eventual development of autism. It is hard to reconstruct a woman's diet 9 months or a couple of years after the fact. If it is environment or dietary factors, who can say whether it is a lack or surfeit of something at a critical stage in the development of the fetus? With all the toxins in our modern environment, it is hard to tell what chemicals one has been exposed to. From plasticizers in plastic bottles to the anti-inflammative treatments in our furniture and carpets, to who know what in our drinking water, a lot of chemicals pass into our systems unsuspected. If it was solely an environmental problem, there should be clusters of cases and area or regions of high and low incidence. I daresay no one in the hills of Appalachia has ever heard of autism. Some of us suffer from Asperger's syndrome, and are functioning in society with more or less degrees of success. I expect if I were tested I would fall somewhere in the Asperger's continuum. Somewhat brilliant mind, totally at sea socially. I'm the one at the cocktail party with a drink in hand standing in the corner looking nervous and out of place.
Posted By: Revlgking Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/06/14 07:15 PM
THIS JUST IN FROM CBC RADIO--The Current: ABOUT THE WORK OF A PERCEPTIVE SCIENTIST. DR. MARTIN BLAZER--author of the recent book, MISSING MICROBES--How The Overuse of Antibiotics is Fuelling Modern Plagues.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17910121-missing-microbes
=======
In my old files, going back over 40 years, I have articles warning us of this. Now we are getting the evidence.
Link to CBC.ca/The Current, is below.

Quote:
Dr. Martin Blaser says that a rise in "modern plagues" can be tied to overuse of antibiotics and other medical practices. (Reuters/Fabrizio Bensch)

Antibiotics have changed medicine and saved lives, but while killing certain illnesses they may have also enabled others.

Dr. Martin Blaser argues the overuse of antibiotics has altered the delicate balance of microbes living in all of us, making us vulnerable to a range of new diseases.

Dr. Martin Blaser has studied the role of bacteria in human disease for more than 30 years. In his new book, Dr. Blaser raises alarm bells about how the overuse of antibiotics and Cesarian sections may be taking a toll on the diversity of bacteria in our bodies, with consequences for our metabolism, immunity, and cognition.

Dr. Martin Blaser is a professor of medicine and infectious diseases at New York University. He is also the author of Missing Microbes: How the overuse of antibiotics is fueling our modern plagues.
==================
http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/201...-our-own-peril/
Posted By: Tutor Turtle Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/07/14 03:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_hWwfcsJXHM
Posted By: Revlgking Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/07/14 09:39 PM
Amaranth Rose II, thanks for your comments and for being so open about yourself. You say of the body and brain,
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
It is a very complex mechanism. The brain does so much developing while in utero, and after birth up to about age 3-4 ...
to which you add
Quote:
... I expect if I were tested I would fall somewhere in the Asperger's continuum.
In addition, you add,
Quote:
Somewhat brilliant mind, totally at sea socially. I'm the one at the cocktail party with a drink in hand standing in the corner looking nervous and out of place.
======
As your comments, with which I concur, indicate, we--that is, we spiritual beings, who happen to have an animal-like brain (not to be confused with mind) and body--are, "a very complex mechanism."

Amaranth, STORY OF AN AUTISTIC CHILD

You mentioned autism. Interestingly, for many years after I chose to retire as chair and founder (in 1973) of THE FAMILY LIFE FOUNDATION (FLF), flfcanada.com--mentioned in the signature, below--the one who I nominated to succeed me was the Rev. Dan J, a former Lutheran minister.

I first met Dan--two years my senior--when he, knowing that I used hypnosis--which I now call PNEUMATHERAPY--to help children--[he had heard me doing an interview on the CBC radio and TV News] brought his severely autistic eight-year old son to see me.

To our amazement, especially mine, the child responded positively--and almost immediately. Needless to say, the Rev. Dan J, also, immediately became an active member of the FLF ... Later, when I nominated him to take over as chair of the FLF, he was delighted.

Interestingly, when Dan's son got old enough to want to work, we in the FLF were able to get him enrolled in work programs that fitted with his intellectual ability, which was limited. He found his niche in life.

However, the bonus is: socially speaking, he grew up to be a handsome extrovert who, in my experience with him, mingles very well, socially. Hmmm! Makes one think!
Posted By: Revlgking Re: why is mercury used in vaccines - 05/11/14 12:02 AM
Building on the work of Dr. Martin Blaser, check the following:
=====================
The following quote is from a SCIENCE NEWSLETTER that I get. It is about a tribe called THE HADZA:
Quote:
... FREE of heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other "western" diseases. They are also very lean despite eating up to 15 lbs of meat on "feasting days" when they successfully get a kill.
the Hadza diet typically consists mostly of berries, tubers that they dig up, and honey... but this varies based on the season... more meat during the dry season, and more berries, tubers, and honey during the wet season. This aspect of their diet naturally cycles their protein, fat, and carbohydrate intake to much different ratios during different times of year.

Again, let's be reminded that they are free of heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other "western" diseases. They are also very lean despite eating up to 15 lbs of meat on "feasting days" when they successfully get a kill.

Their immune systems also fight off pathogens very easily due to their massive intake of probiotics and their corresponding gut health.
===========
BEWARE OF OVERUSING ANTIBIOTICS--they destroy health-promoting bugs.
----------------
I wonder: How many family doctors know about helpful "belly bugs?"

Quote:
We've already talked in previous newsletters how having gut dysbiosis (an imbalance of bad to good bacteria in your gut) has been linked in numerous studies to everything from obesity, brain conditions, skin conditions, digestive disorders, and even cancer.

Getting back to the Men's Fitness article (btw, I think MF is stepping up their game, as this was the best article I've seen them publish in a while; Good work MF!), the author shows some links between gut bugs and obesity, saying "obese people's GI tracts have a less diverse population of bacteria than those of lean people"

Bruce German, a PhD food chemist from the Foods for Health Institute at the Univ of California states in the article, "The inappropriate, indiscriminate use of antibiotics looks like it's been a real problem for our microbiota. We tended, for decades, to believe that there really was no risk associated with antibiotics, so it was widely prescribed for just about anything."

The article continues, "However, a recent study from the Stanford University School of Medicine showed that the first few days of antibiotic use will decimate the population of gut flora, which frees up the sugar and nutrients that harmful pathogens use to gain an upper hand. If you're lucky, this sort of damage can take more than a month to repair, and some bacteria strains may experience a permanent loss."

As you can see, our belly bugs are one of THE most important aspects of our health and whether we get certain diseases or gain weight. And your gut flora balance is completely controlled by how you live your life, what you eat, how much exercise you get and the type, stress levels, social bonds, your surrounding microbial environment, and more...
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums