Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
US scientists have cracked the entire genetic code of breast and colon cancers, offering new treatment hopes.

The genetic map shows that nearly 200 mutated genes, most previously unknown, help tumours emerge, grow and spread.

The discovery could also lead to better ways to diagnose cancer in its early, most treatable stages, and personalised treatments, Science magazine reports.

The Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center says the findings suggest cancer is more complex than experts had believed.

For the rest of the story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5325206.stm

DA Morgan
Megastar
Megastar
"...more complex than experts had believed."

Now there's a surprise!

LOL
~sam smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
A
A
yeah...surprise :-)

and more complexity for evolutionary folks to explain away :-)

btw -- nice find...read it earlier and was going to post it with my own brand of commentary

Megastar
Megastar
...or, far more complexity for evolutionary folks to examine and find more support for the theory (or not).

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"and more complexity for evolutionary folks to explain away :-)"

Highly misleading statement. Evolution scientists understand the limits of their knowledge. None of this sheds one iota of doubt on evolutionary theory.

There are things we don't know. That much is not a surprise.

There are plenty of open questions in evolution. No surprise there, either.

Failing to account for every last detail is not the same as not accounting for anything. There are a limited number of researches, of varying levels of competence. Real science takes time and careful thought to do correctly.

A
A
Quote:
Highly misleading statement. Evolution scientists understand the limits of their knowledge. None of this sheds one iota of doubt on evolutionary theory.
highly misleading...a matter of opinion; i don't think so

evosciguys understand the limits of their knowledge...i don't think so, but allowing you that, it would certainly be more inwardly than outwardly (ie, they have no prob chanting their 'evolution is a fact, fact, fact' mantra to the public while holding the problems a little closer to the chest

none of this sheds one iota of doubt on evolutionary theory...of course not, at least not for the faithful :-)

as for the rest of your post...

Quote:
There are things we don't know. That much is not a surprise.

There are plenty of open questions in evolution. No surprise there, either.

Failing to account for every last detail is not the same as not accounting for anything. There are a limited number of researches, of varying levels of competence. Real science takes time and careful thought to do correctly.
ditto, dude

i concur with you...unanimously :-)

Megastar
Megastar
re:
"...have no prob chanting their 'evolution is a fact, fact, fact' mantra to the public...."

In fact, there is a great discussion of this over on Origins (God & Science) thread. I'd like to get your take on the "facts" discussion over there also.

Sorry to be off topic again, but... brief enough?

For more about "public perception of science/scientist" see:
http://blog.myspace.com/120086790

~Samwik

P.S. any following discussion about "fact" should go to Origins...? ~3:50ish

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"they have no prob chanting their 'evolution is a fact, fact, fact mantra to the public "

It *is* a fact.

"while holding the problems a little closer to the chest"

The word "problem" is ambiguous. That there are many things about the details of evolution that we are still trying to fill in. There are some details we may never fill in. Those details are not essential to the acceptance of evolution as a fact.

These are not impediments to accepting evolution as a fact.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
anyman wrote:
"and more complexity for evolutionary folks to explain away"

You truly need to see counseling: This is sick.

The complexity of a disease is not a measure of anything related in any respect to evolution. But it might be a good place to note that according to you your deity created cancer and allows it to exist by an act of will even when it inflicts pain and suffering on young children.

You made this bed: Now sleep in it.

DA Morgan
T
T
For extra emotive force why not include "and cute furry animals will needlessly suffer."

Darkness is but the sum total of Creation inclusive of the Light.
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
If it was relevant I would have.

I find it fascinating that on one hand these people think god created everything in the universe and then go suddenly mute when one points out that "everything" includes childhood leukemia, polio, malaria, diptheria, AIDS, and every birth defect that has ever existed.

DA Morgan
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
If it was relevant I would have.

I find it fascinating that on one hand these people think god created everything in the universe and then go suddenly mute when one points out that "everything" includes childhood leukemia, polio, malaria, diptheria, AIDS, and every birth defect that has ever existed.
Well, that was part of the point with my question about bacteria and protists and the genesis. But I'll let it go for now.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Eternauta. You were never going to get a response to that. Like politicians these fundies are great at not answering the difficult questions. By the way I hope you people in the US keep in mind the following: "How do you know when a politician is lying?" Answer: "His lips are moving". Same with a fundy I guess.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
TNZ wrote:
"How do you know when a politician is lying?" Answer: "His lips are moving". Same with a fundy I guess.

A great quote from Will Rogers and well applied to another lower lifeform.

What amazes me about this is that the fundamentalists are, at least in theory, suporting morality and ethics. That their need to be right overwhelmes both their morality and ethics clearly validates why they are fundamentalists rather than mainstream.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.