Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 410 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8136 07/19/06 02:22 AM
K
OP Offline
K
I've heard a scientist say that drinking plenty of water is not needed,thats it's a myth.Where do they get off saying something like that?Do you know how many people have died from not drinking water?Ever heard of heat wave?And contrary to what this scientist says,it WAS proven that plenty of water is by FAR the most healthy thing you can do.This has to be the worst scientist I've ever heard of.

Here are the facts:

Water is involved in almost every process in the human body. It helps to:

Maintain normal body temperature
Transport nutrients
Transport wastes
Build new cells
Lubricates joints
Moisten eyes, nose, throat, and skin
Keeps your body hydrated
Keeps blood healthy
Helps to build white blood cells
Helps keep your body fat down
Helps to prevent cancer,tumors,colds,flu and virtually all known illness and disease
Helps women maintain healthy pregnacy

The fact that drinking water is the single most healthy thing for a human to do it really common sense.For a scientist or anyone to dissagree is just not very smart.Sorry everyone,I just had to reply to what I read.Drink water folks,it saves lives. smile

#8137 07/19/06 02:29 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
1 are you sure he was a scientist?

2) are you sure the statement was not taken out of content?

otherwise i agree with you.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#8138 07/19/06 02:46 AM
K
OP Offline
K
This is where I read it.I'm not actually sure if the person is a scientist now that I reread it.I just dissagreed with it,clicked something and ended up here.So I posted about it.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20020711213420data_trunc_sys.shtml

#8139 07/19/06 03:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dr. Valtin is a physician, "professor emeritus of physiology at Dartmouth Medical School" and apparently has questioned the old dogma of drinking 8 8-ounce glasses of water a day to stay healthy. He has found no supporting evidence to back this up; it may simply be a myth or "urban legend". The fact is, as he points out, that many persons on this planet consume less water than that daily and are perfectly healthy doing so. He even explores some of the origins of this practice in his research. He is not saying it is bad for you to drink that much water, he's saying that the water in your food may already have you covered and the rule for "8 X 8" may have been slightly over the top.

#8140 07/19/06 04:01 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for explaining it a little better.But I still dissagree with it.Theres not much water in big macs and whoppers.And considering in how so many people don't drink enough water,and how many people are over weight,have bad hearts,etc,I think that pretty much proves his theory wrong.Lets face it,we eat a lot of junk and too many people have health issues,clearly they don't drink enough.And studies clearly show that people who drink alot of water are far healthier.I don't think it's possible to ever have enough water.

#8141 07/19/06 01:38 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
i guess it depends on what you eat. if you eat a lot of soup or wet food, then you need considerably less water. if you eat dryer food, you need more. quite frankly, i dont know much about much of the world, but here in America, we eat waaaaaayyyyyy to much fast food. on the other hand, i have heard that if you drink too much water it can miss up your electrolites an in extream situations, can even cause death. as in all things, moderation is the key.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#8142 07/19/06 03:16 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Hyponatremia. The Inquisition was forbidden from drawing blood during torture. A gallon of water forced down your pie hole was very effective for stimulating compliance.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/homesec.jpg

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#8143 07/19/06 04:52 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Nice JPG Al.

DA Morgan
#8144 07/24/06 01:39 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
I have heard, although I would'nt like to vouch as to the truth of the third statement.

That the purest bottled water in the world is:-
the French 'Perrier' water.

Since it comes up from so deep in the ground, that even its gas is natural.

However, coming from so deep, its natural Radioactivity exceeds that of seawater by X2 ?

***Thoughts.
Note, that the NATURAL radioactivity of foods
is not reportable in Europe.
Which is why very few people know about the natural radioactivity of the common Brazil Nut.
The tree, being able to concentrate radioactivity.
URL below.

http://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/consumer%20products/brazilnuts.htm

ALSO-
It is obvious that there is some level of radioactivity in materials below which regulation is not required and above which it is. For example, most foods have some radioactivity, mainly potassium-40 and carbon-14 (see Sources and Characteristics of Ionizing Radiation, Unit II of this curriculum). Brazil nuts are the world?s most radioactive food; the brazil nut endotherm has an alpha activity from radium- 226, radium-228, and their decay products as high as 1.4 disintegrations per second per gram. Some consumer products, such as smoke detectors, lantern mantles, luminous-dial watches, etc., also have small amounts of radioactivity but not enough to require regulated disposal.

Nonetheless, the NRC announcement caused some public and corporate concern. It will be interesting to see how the first applications for BRC exemptions turn out. Source: Federal Register, Vol. 55, No. 128, July 3, 1990, P. 27522.

http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/pm/program_docs/curriculum/unit_1_toc/14b.pdf

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#8145 07/24/06 03:40 AM
D
D
"Pure" is ambiguous. If they mean that it only contains water (as in H20) then no, it cannot be purer than synthetically purified, deionized water. But purfectly pure deionized water is non-potable. Not sure how you define purity in drinking water but it's certainly not the same as you define it in the lab.

"even its gas is natural"

What in the world does that mean? Is there water out there that has synthetic gas?

#8146 07/24/06 04:28 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
This entire nonsense we now see about purity of this and organic of that is just a rot of pseudo-science dropped on an ignorant public.

That is not to say I set out to purchase chicken loaded with antibiotics or cattle fed on newspaper or fruits sprayed with insecticide.

But "pure" water is downright dangerous as a beverage and for all the mercury in the fishes in the oceans ... those eating the most seafood ... the Japanese and Scandinavians are outliving everybody else.

Marketing nonsense and theories promoted without benefit of actual double-blind testing are worthless. Those that don't correlate their results with real people living real lives are scams.

DA Morgan
#8147 07/24/06 04:42 AM
D
D
Well put DA. That "organic" gibberish has always torqued me off. I specialized in organic chemistry smile

#8148 07/24/06 06:05 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
And my degree was in organic analytical. Spent my first six years doing GC Mass Spec for the likes for Carl Djerassi and I've no doubt you know who Carl is by reputation.

If they must have a marketing phrase I would far prefer: "uncontaminated" to this "pure", "natural", and "organic" torturing of the language.

Water uncontaminated by dioxin. Ok!
Chicken uncontaminated by antibiotics. Ok!
Apples uncontaminated by pesticides. Ok!

DA Morgan
#8149 07/24/06 09:27 PM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by DrBarr:
"Pure" is ambiguous. If they mean that it only contains water (as in H20) then no, it cannot be purer than synthetically purified, deionized water. But purfectly pure deionized water is non-potable.

"even its gas is natural"

What in the world does that mean? Is there water out there that has synthetic gas?
Both your above sentences are absolutely correct.

I was too quick to post, being far too busy in these times of the middle east war.
I did not realise that it needed a more precise explanation.

My statement-"Having come from so deep in the ground" seem'd not enough?
I should have qualified pure water, with "Pure SPRING water"
Prehaps I should have also mentioned that since "Perrier" water comes from so deep, it is not contaminated with 'farm run-off, such as nitrates, or anti-bug chemicals.

Correct, you would'nt want to drink to much De-ionised water, since it would tend to de-mineralise your body salts, making your bones less dense.
Something which many people, especially women are learning about these days. Bone fractures are far more common than they were 50 years ago in the over 50's.
Since some bottled waters, very often given to young children today do not contain enough minerals. The bones of most teenagers, today are less dense than that of their parents, when they were teenagers.
In addition, the water used in some carbonated varieties, is run thru a sand bed and activated charcoal, for expedience and cheapness.
Bone density is easily achieved while a child grows into an adult, provided they eat and drink correctly. wink
After that, bone density gradually gets less, and is very difficult if not impossible to reverse.
The considered best solution is to take Calcium tablets together with Vitamin D, but at night only!
i.e. Before going to sleep

Before I forget..."Even the gas is natural"
Is Perriers advertising blurb, whence they also state that they do NOT inject their bottles with 'carbon dioxide before sealing their product.

(Might that be due to natural air pressure within their water at depth?)
wink smile

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#8150 07/24/06 10:01 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
One can talk up Perrier, and I don't mean to pick on them but they are part of the topic, all one wishes. But it wasn't that long ago they were contaminated that wonderfully natural spring water with carcinogenic benzene in their filtration and bottling operation.

DA Morgan
#8151 07/25/06 06:29 AM
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
And my degree was in organic analytical. Spent my first six years doing GC Mass Spec for the likes for Carl Djerassi and I've no doubt you know who Carl is by reputation.
I've done maybe 2 GCMS experiments in my life. Don't think I could read one if I had to. We did NMR almost exclusively

#8152 07/25/06 06:01 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I did a little, some proton and some fluorine. But I never got the hang of reading an NMR as I didn't have enough run to matter. Mostly they were to confirm or refute what came from the MassSpec.

Why fluorine you might ask? Look at fluocinolone acetonide acetate. ;-)

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.