Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7787 07/10/06 10:28 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Are you rnaedig the news?
7 July 2006

If you tnhik you're reandig the news, be warned taht this stroy -- and any ohter on the web -- wlil be berlay read by anynoe 36 hours aeftr it was frist poetsd. Taht's the megasse form a taem of stcttiaisal pytsichiss who hvae asnlaeyd how pelope ascecs iftoaorminn olinne. Aeblrt-L?zsl? B?sabari of the Uvirisntey of Notre Dmae in the US and cueaeolgls in Hruangy have culelaatcd that the neubmr of pelpoe who read nwes sreiots on the web dcyeas wtih tmie in a power law, and not etloxplnaeniy as colnmomy thhugot. Most news bcemeos old hat wihtin a day and a hlaf of bineg pstoed -- a fninidg that could hlep wetbise deriegsns or pelpoe tyinrg to uasdnertnd how imtifonaron gtes trfrnreased in bocaloigil cells and soical nrekowts (Phys. Rev. E 73 066132).

Psitiyshcs like Bba?asri are ierntetsed in stynduig the Wrold Wide Web baecuse it is an exlpmae of a "cmoelpx ntroewk", wtih a topolgoy that chgenas as new douetcmns and likns are culnanloity aeddd. His team preiucts a tcayipl nwes web stie as a sereis of ciurclar bblos, or "nodes", ecah of which cesrnpdroos to an idnavdiuil nwes sorty, with a line jinniog ecah ndoe if the two seotris are cconeentd by a hypelnirk (see frguie). The aera of ecah blob is paprnotoriol to the lorhatigm of the nuembr of vsiits to ecah domcuent.

Tiehr model reveals taht a tpcayil nwes stie has a raevlltiey sabtle "sektloen" -- crnrpesoodnig to the ovrlael oantaozrgiin of the stie -- aolng wtih nodes (that is, aatucl seotirs) that are only toiapermrly lienkd to the main srcturute brfeoe bneig deetled from the stie or not lnekid any mroe. In this sense, the nretwok rmeebesls a biaocoligl clel's rgaltreuoy newtork, woshe "wrinig" can cahnge rpalidy dnriug a cell cycle. It is aslo a bit lkie socail nrokewts: we ecah hvae a raiveletly sabtle core noewtrk of feirnds and ainecqancutas but the nbeumr of poplee we ianrtcet wtih can vray diatlslrcay from one day to the next.

To get a fellur undrdsneniatg of such newotkrs, Bbas?rai and cleoaluegs deiecdd to sutdy the vsniitig prteatns on a popualr Huainrgan nwes and eenatnmeintrt patorl (oirgo.hu). Tkahns to aauoalmctitly anssgeid "ciookes", the stiscnties wree albe to rercuctnost the boswring hitrsoy of aobut 250,000 vsritois to the stie oevr the cuorse of a mnoth.

The rcasrehrees fonud that the dmenctuos bnenilogg to the skoleten of the wbeitse reevice an axtlmaipopery csnoatnt setarm of virotiss, wichh means that the cmvuituale nbmuer of vsrtoiis aseicscng thsee dtcneomus iacsrnees lriaenly in time. In cnsotart, the nwes decmnouts rvcieee the msot hits diretcly aeftr their reeslae, and derecase with time. Tuhs, the cuumvaltie nrebmus of vitiss hree raech siauottran aetfr jsut a few dyas.

Braasbai's taem cetcualald the "hlaf-life" of a nwes doencumt, wchih cdsoorrnpes to the prioed in wchih half of all vsirtios taht enalevulty aseccs it have vsiietd. The rreshcarees fnoud taht the oearvll half-lfie ditbutsiiorn fwlools a poewr law, wihch iaiedtncs taht most nwes ietms have a very srhot lftmieie, aluhtgoh a few cuoitnne to be asececsd wlel boyend this peroid. The aagvree half-lfie of a news item is just 36 huors, or one and a half days afetr it is reasleed. Wilhe this is short, it is lgeonr tahn pdeierctd by spmile etaoepixnnl meodls, wihch assume that web page biswrong is less rdnaom tahn it aclltuay is.

The shrot life of a nwes item -- coenmbid wtih roadnm vnstiiig prtaents of reerads -- iipmels taht poelpe cloud miss a siifningcat ftioacrn of nwes by not vinsiitg the potarl wehn a new dmucnoet is fisrt dyaespild, wihch is why pulrihbses like to pdrovie e-mial news aletrs. The rtlsues aslo show that peolpe read a putalaicrr web page not jsut bacseue it looks itsetninreg but buacsee it can be aseccsed eailsy.

Ahgotulh the avaerge hlaf-life vaeirs for dienfreft types of sites, the decay lwas iiefeitndd are llieky to be giernec buesace they do not dneped on cennott, but are mnlay dmtenreied by a user's viniitsg and bnorsiwg prtatens.

"Such qanivuatttie approhecas to olnnie mdeia not olny oeffr a beettr uanetiddnrnsg of inmriatfoon aeccss, but culod have iatnprmot croemimacl ailcinatppos as wlel ? from betetr partol dsgien to usatdndninerg irionmotafn diosfifun, folw, and miktnaerg in the onnile wolrd," say the rerseahcers.

#7788 07/11/06 02:04 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Y?

DA Morgan
#7789 07/11/06 06:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This gibberish should be deleted. And I think I will do just that, after 24 hours. The language of this forum is English, not gibberish. I find this makes no sense at all.

Amaranth

#7790 07/11/06 06:32 AM
K
K
Amaranth, I think that's the point!

#7791 07/11/06 08:09 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
does not matter. deliberate gibberish is not right. doing it once would be ok, but there have been several post in several threads about this. its not worth reading.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#7792 07/11/06 08:36 AM
A
A
actually taking the time to read it, there is a little content worth gleaning

not having encountered it before, i find it an interesting form of intentionally dyslexic writing (seems like someone worked hard to scramble it that bad, but make it so that it can readily be unscrambled by the native english speaking mind)

interesting how the non-dyslexic mind automatically sorts it out making it legible

hmm...reads kind of like some of dano's posts, but a lot more sensible :-)

ok, stop that...baaaad daawgie

#7793 07/11/06 12:35 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I saw this first at NGC channel (inbetween two programs they sometimes show adds about their own programs). If you randomly permute the letters of words but keep the first and last letter of each word in its original place (E.g. height --> hgeiht), then you will be able to read most of the words. And the faster you try to read the text the easier it is. If you switch to ''fast reading mode'' the brain pays less attention to the order of the letters in a word making it easier to read the scrambled text.

On NGC channel they showed a few sentences of scrambled text, but I decided to try it out for myself, so yesterday I wrote my own program to see if it really works as advertised. I later found out that there is a Java program available for scrambling text:

http://www.ramdhanyk.com/movabletype/archives/thoughtprocess/001378.html

#7794 07/11/06 12:46 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Onilaglriy posetd by aynman:aaclltuy tankig the time to read it, trhee is a litlte ctnoent wtroh gnlianeg

not hvaing eceoeurntnd it bfoere, i fnid it an iitnerenstg from of ionentltanliy dyeisxlc wtiring (smees lkie smeonoe werkod hrad to slrbamce it that bad, but mkae it so taht it can rldaeiy be umsrnebcald by the nvtiae elsngih spkieang mnid)

insttnereig how the non-dlieyxsc mind atoilatmuclay sotrs it out mkniag it liblgee

hmm...rades knid of like some of dnao's psots, but a lot mroe slbseine :-)

ok, sotp taht...baaaad dagwiae
It's not so difficult using a scrambling program smile . If you have a pascal compiler (you can download one from here ) you can compile this text scrambler program:

PROGRAM SCRAM;
VAR CH: CHAR;
TEST:BOOLEAN;
INF,OUTF: TEXT;
K,TEL: BYTE;
ARPERM: ARRAY OF BYTE;
ARCH: ARRAY OF CHAR;
FUNCTION TESTLET(X:CHAR):BOOLEAN;
BEGIN
CASE X OF
#65..#90,#97..#122,#128..#151,#153,#154,#159..#165,#181..#183,
#198,#199,#210..#212,#214..#216,#224..#229,#233..#237: TESTLET:=TRUE
ELSE
TESTLET:=FALSE;
END;
END;
PROCEDURE PRM(N:BYTE;VAR AR:ARRAY OF BYTE);
VAR INTM,K,R:BYTE;
BEGIN
FOR K:=0 TO N-1 DO
AR[K]:=K;
FOR K:=0 TO N -2 DO
BEGIN
R:=RANDOM(N-K)+K;
IF R>K THEN
BEGIN
INTM:=AR[K];
AR[K]:=AR[R];
AR[R]:=INTM;
END;
END;
END;
BEGIN
RANDOMIZE;
ASSIGN(INF,'IN.TXT');
ASSIGN(OUTF,'OUT.TXT');
REWRITE(OUTF);
RESET(INF);
REPEAT
READ(INF,CH);
IF TESTLET(CH) AND NOT(EOF(INF))
THEN
BEGIN
TEL:=0;
REPEAT
TEL:=TEL+1;
SETLENGTH(ARCH,TEL);
ARCH[TEL-1]:=CH;
READ(INF,CH);
TEST:=TESTLET(CH);
UNTIL NOT(TEST) OR EOF(INF);
IF TEST THEN BEGIN
TEL:=TEL+1;
ARCH[TEL-1]:=CH;
END;
IF TEL>3 THEN BEGIN
SETLENGTH(ARPERM,TEL-2);
PRM(TEL-2,ARPERM);
WRITE(OUTF,ARCH[0]);
FOR K:=0 TO TEL-3 DO WRITE(OUTF,ARCH[ARPERM[K]+1]);
WRITE(OUTF,ARCH[TEL-1]);
END
ELSE FOR K:=0 TO TEL-1 DO WRITE(OUTF,ARCH[K]);
IF NOT(TEST) THEN WRITE(OUTF,CH);
END
ELSE WRITE(OUTF,CH);
UNTIL EOF(INF);
CLOSE(INF);
CLOSE(OUTF);

#7795 07/11/06 12:49 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Oaliglinry petsod by dhmmaeer: does not matter. dtibleaere gbiebsrih is not rihgt. diong it once wulod be ok, but there hvae been seaverl post in saveerl taehrds aobut this. its not wotrh rniedag.
It helps to pctriace your fast rneiadg sillks. smile

#7796 07/11/06 12:55 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Olalngriiy poestd by Aratnamh Rose:
This grbbisieh slohud be dteeled. And I think I wlil do just that, afetr 24 hours. The lgnaugae of this froum is Eginslh, not gbireisbh. I fnid tihs meaks no ssnee at all.

Anraatmh
Mrdetaoor
No, tihs is fun. Many plpeoe wlil wnat to try it out for tvlsmeeehs. It mkeas ssene besacue you lraen sothmnieg new about how the biran prsceeoss txet. smile

#7797 07/11/06 12:58 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Oniilgrlay peotsd by Ktae: Amrtnaah, I tnihk taht's the pnoit!
Ineedd! smile

#7798 07/11/06 12:59 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
gibberish is still not english. nor is it readable.

#7799 07/11/06 01:11 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Oangrilliy potsed by dammeehr:grieisbbh is stlil not enlgish. nor is it raabedle.
It is Engsilh. Only the order of the letrets is caehgnd a bit. It clairnety isn't a dffeneirt lagugnae. Aslo, you sluohd be albe to raed it if you raed the txet fsat. It's atalcluy more diiclffut to ustennrdad if you read it solwly wrod for word. smile

#7800 07/11/06 01:19 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Excellent - very interesting.

And it's true - the faster I read it the more words I understand. It feels something like clearing a jump on a bike - the faster you go, the more likely you are to make it.

I'm sure that the brain relies on context in a big way to discern speed read words.

Blacknad.

#7801 07/11/06 03:14 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Count Iblis II:
Quote:
Oangrilliy potsed by dammeehr:grieisbbh is stlil not enlgish. nor is it raabedle.
It is Engsilh. Only the order of the letrets is caehgnd a bit. It clairnety isn't a dffeneirt lagugnae. Aslo, you sluohd be albe to raed it if you raed the txet fsat. It's atalcluy more diiclffut to ustennrdad if you read it solwly wrod for word. smile
this is a very interesting way of winning an arguement. make your post in such a way as to make it unreadable by the majority of poster. how can they argue with you, without a translator.

#7802 07/11/06 04:36 PM
B
Bee Offline
B
"interesting how the non-dyslexic mind automatically sorts it out making it legible"

I am dyslexic and have no trouble reading it (well no more than usually) then again maybe I am just used to letters looking a bit jumbled to me from time to time LOL

**newsflash! the flight of the Bumblebee doesn't defy the laws of science after all! makes me wonder what else is possible that we may think defies science now but doesn't?*... and the Bumblebee still flies..
#7803 07/11/06 05:37 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
This is amusing.

It reminds me vaguely of an article that was floating around a few years ago about some research done at Harvard. (I think it was exaggerated, but there were some true elements, IIRC.)

#7804 07/11/06 06:42 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Very good but a little long, Count.

I had friends of mine send emails in that fashion and I was surprized to see that I could read them in spite of the jumble.
The key is in the first and last letters.
jjw

#7805 07/11/06 07:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All right, it wins a reprieve. But in future lets stick to Standard Modern English, please.

Amaranth

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.