Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 143 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"The cactus ferruginous pygmy owl ? which is only about 6 inches long and weighs less than 3 ounces ? has been at the center of a battle between environmentalists and developers for years."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&am..._sc/pygmy_owl_2

Which is more important, the ecosystem or the development of housing projects?

I
I
Unfortunately, your average policy maker takes cues from your average American, which means that the ecosystem takes a back seat to essentially everything else. If you told John Q. Public that drilling in ANWR were necessary to continue broadcasting episodes of "American Idol", we would have lost that fight years ago.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by I. S.:
Unfortunately, your average policy maker takes cues from your average American, which means that the ecosystem takes a back seat to essentially everything else. If you told John Q. Public that drilling in ANWR were necessary to continue broadcasting episodes of "American Idol", we would have lost that fight years ago.
Unfortunately, I believe you are right. The pygmy owls are the tip of the iceberg, what with developers encroaching on more and more marginal land to build their ideas of ideal habitat for man. Maybe someday we'll learn to live in harmony with Nature and quit demanding more and more space for ourselves and our offspring. In the meantime the pygmy owl lives in a precarious balance. I hope it makes it another fifty years. Maybe by then we'll be shipping off our excess population to space stations like the ones in Kate's post.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.