Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6575 04/18/06 05:55 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
It is not the complete article ... but it is enough of it to make the point.

... Findings suggest vital Atlantic currents are slowing dramatically.

Source:
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/earth/mg19025471.300

More later if I can find a link with the full story. But you can pretty much layer it on top of this:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2004/0415gyre.html

Be very very concerned.

DA Morgan
#6576 04/18/06 08:58 PM
I wonder if this will slow the loss of Greenland's ice cap and reverse the ever-shrinking pack ice cover in the Arctic?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#6577 04/18/06 09:27 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
It could. That is part of the complexity we will apparently get to explore first-hand if we live long enough.

Given that politics is trumping science I can't wait until the first moron proposes restarting the flow with a thermonuclear weapon.

DA Morgan
#6578 04/19/06 01:19 AM
I
I
Dire consequences are coming, all right. Sooner or later doesn't change the ultimate consequences, although if Iran keeps things up it won't matter anyway.

#6579 04/19/06 04:07 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
or if a supervolcano erupts, it will not matter, as the only thing any one will be interested in, is surviving the long night.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#6580 04/19/06 04:51 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Right now I'd just like to see Jeffersonian democracy survive the illiterate American electorate.

DA Morgan
#6581 04/19/06 01:44 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
thats the problem too many ppl concerned with politics instead of being concerned with the future survival of the human race.

#6582 04/19/06 04:27 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"thats the problem too many ppl concerned with politics instead of being concerned with the future survival of the human race."

You don't give a damn about the survival of any lifeform on this planet except yourself, Mr. "the oceans will take care of itself", it would seem. Where did this come from? Everything you've been spouting is straight out of the "What me worry" playbook.

DA Morgan
#6583 04/19/06 11:37 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
totally wrong. no, im smart enough to realise that a system that has worked for billions of years will not be that upset by a small infections called man. yes, there will be some species that will die, but new ones will take their place and ones that are barely hanging on now will blossom. the difference is that im not so species centric to believe that we are the only thing that has any thing to say about anything on this earth. while there is much debate on weither the earth has any kind of intelegence (yes there are ppl that believe that) it is a mute point of wiether or not the earth can go on with what its going to do with or with out us. we might change the pattern slightly, but no, we are not the ones that will determine the life or death of the planet. its a lot bigger than you and i. that is where that came from.

#6584 04/19/06 11:48 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
If I divorce myself of all personal tests of humanity, civility, and responsibility I agree with you.

As soon as I consider the fact that I have free choice and must exercise it responsibly I find your attitude frightening.

You are correct, of course, a million years from now what we do is irrelevant. I would just like to think I didn't make decisions that set the next generation up for a quality of life worse than mine.

DA Morgan
#6585 04/20/06 04:34 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
im not sure what you believe will distroy the quality of life our children will have. according to many the quality of life was due to be destroyed some time before this centory started. then again it was suppose to be destroyed by 2005, now its 20010. of course it was also suppose to be destroyed in the 80's. it get so confussing as to when the earth is due to be totally destroyed anymore.

#6586 04/20/06 04:52 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"according to many the quality of life was due to be destroyed some time before this centory started."

Are you truly this self-centered or are you just spoiling for an argument?

DA Morgan
#6587 04/20/06 04:57 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
neither, im pointing out that the scaremongers have been claiming that we would cause a total global melt down in our society for the last 50 years.

#6588 04/20/06 05:16 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"scaremongers have been claiming that we would cause a total global melt down in our society for the last 50 years."

And given that this is longer than your attention span you think we should just move on and deal with really important issues like American Idol, Paris Hilton, and who's going to be on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit edition.

Try considering the lives of those that might outlive you. And the lives of their children. And the other inhabitants of this planet.

Self centered it is.

DA Morgan
#6589 04/20/06 05:18 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Quote:
Right now I'd just like to see Jeffersonian democracy survive the illiterate American electorate.
Consider this list of Federally-enforced rules:

Immigrants and foreign visitors are banned from public political ?discourse. Immigrants and foreigners are denied certain basic ?property rights. Immigrants are denied equal employment rights. Immigrants and naturalized citizens are not trusted in public ?service. Immigrants and naturalized citizens may never become ?clergy. Private citizens may make citizens arrests of ?lawbreakers (i.e., illegal immigrants) and deliver them to ?authorities. Immigrants may be expelled for any reason and ?without due process. Immigrants and naturalized citizens will ?never be treated as born citizens.

Those are the rules of engagement for an American in Mexico. Tell Uncle Al why 13 million Mexicans in America should not be subject to identical treatment.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#6590 04/20/06 05:39 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
I agree with you so hopefully you are addressing this to someone else.

DA Morgan
#6591 04/21/06 10:06 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
what or who is American Idol, and how is Paris Hilton. ill care whos on the swimsuit addition when i see it in the grocery store, and then forget about it by the time i reach the check out.

the reality is the scaremongers are getting paid by how much money they can scare up for their cause. its in their interest to keep ppl worried that tomorrow the world will end unless the ppl pay for their research. let me point something out to illistrate this (no im not talking about some magazine). you suggested i google a certain subject. i did, then i did a little research on the ppl who wrote the articles that came up. the vast majority of them are paid in one form or another by ppl whos interest is to get ppl concerned that global warming will destroy their children. the few that came up that were in opposition to these were employees of oil companies.

i did come up with one old item. there was a researcher that used to work for one of these scaremonger outfits. he was doing some research and had had a paper accepted for puplication in a major scientific journal. it was pulled because the outfit said they owned that data and did now want him publishing it. i was not able to find a lot of details, but after a lawsuit was settled out of court, the researcher was very hansomly paid, but was never able to get another job as a researcher, save as an employee of a state univercity. the interesting thing is that the data was never used by anyone. the outfit had a lot of researchers publish things, without concern about it being "their data". why was this one different. could it have had info that their was no global warming? of course the thing is, he did put up something, and i even quoted it. you said he was not a real scientist.

#6592 04/22/06 12:03 AM
I
I
The bright side is that the effects of global warming will be mitigated by the coming peak oil catastrophe. That's something even the industry players and lobbyists are well, if covertly, aware of.

#6593 04/22/06 01:40 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
I am heavily invested in oil ... not because I expect "peak oil" to stall environmental destruction. But rather because I have faith that the hard-of-thinking will continue to help me afford my boat and my Jag.

DA Morgan
#6594 04/23/06 02:24 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
which means your more of a part of the problem than any part of the solution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.