Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5076 01/30/06 04:56 AM
I
I. S. Offline OP
OP Offline
I
(It's been awhile. Hope y'all have been behaving yourselves.)

Here's an image for you...

You're looking at NOAA's "sea surface temperature anomaly" product for last week. Does anyone else think that the warmer-than-average temperatures up by Greenland seem ominous from the perspective of the Gulf Stream? Isn't the sinking of cool water in that region one of the phenomena that drive the current?

#5077 01/30/06 05:49 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Got my vote.

DA Morgan
#5078 01/30/06 08:08 PM
T
trr Offline
T
I would be cautious about making any predictions based on a week's worth of temperature *anomaly*. I don't know what the SST is normally at 50N 45W but I'm sure that it's significantly lower than that at 30N 70W and being 2degC high for week may mean nothing at all. I don't know though, I'll readily admit. For all I know you're a world-class oceanographer or climatologist. I'm certainly not.

#5079 01/30/06 09:14 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I wouldn't make a prediction based on 5 years worth of data. But when the week's worth of data is consistent with tens-of-thousands of years worth of data ... that is quite another matter.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.