Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 229 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
The first evidence that some of the basic organic building blocks of life can exist in an Earth-like orbit around a young Sun-like star has been provided by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope.

Spitzer took infrared spectrograms of 100 very young stars in a nearby stellar nursery, a huge cloud of dust and gas 375 light years away in the constellation Ophiuchus. And one of those stars showed signs of the organic molecules, acetylene and hydrogen cyanide.

These gases, when combined with water, can form several different amino acids. These are needed to form proteins, as well as one of the four chemical letters, or bases, in DNA, called adenine.

Source:
http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=dn8507

Yep put there around stars by an intelligent designer: An invisible purple rhinoceros.

DA Morgan
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Don't really want a discussion on this but your inference is faulty.

If a creator set a universe in motion that was going to spawn life, then why would it be unthinkable that this process would not happen anywhere other than around Sol?

Regards,

Blacknad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because the idea of a creator is not related to science at all.

You really shouldn't attack off-the-cuff, sarcastic comments, Blacknad. Why don't you instead engage with the actual science that DA brought to the forum.

Perhaps you are not capable...

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Why don't you instead engage with the actual science that DA brought to the forum.

REP: Mainly because I don't have a problem with the science - just with this comment:

'Yep put there around stars by an intelligent designer: An invisible purple rhinoceros.'

Or are you saying that DA can make the comment and I can't respond.

- Because the idea of a creator is not related to science at all.

REP: Couldn't agree more. But of course DA can use the science to infer there is no creator or Intelligent Designer.

The science itself is very interesting.

Perhaps you are not capable...

REP: You're dead right, but that's why this is one of the places I go to learn about such things.

Regards,

Blacknad.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Blacknad asks:
"Mainly because I don't have a problem with the science - just with this comment"

Then address the comment directly. There is nothing wrong with my inference. One of the biggest challenges facing science and scientists is explaining to people what is real and what is fantasy and how to tell the difference.

Science clearly indicates a natural explanation. If you agree with that then no need to comment. If, on the other hand you disagree, then you have to also prove the non-existance of my invisible purple rhino.

DA Morgan
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
I won't argue on this point outside of the Origins section - even though you feel the need to bring the Invisible Purple Rhino here.

Regards,

Blacknad.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
This has nothing to do with origins. This is basic science built on astronomy and chemistry. You might wish to reread the original article.

About the invisible purple rhino? Oh he's science too. He told me so and so it is written.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.