Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
When you erect a domino on a table and slide the table from side to side, why does the domino fall over? I think it's because of air resistance on the domino. If it's not - my idea is useless. Anyway, assuming it's correct a possible way to protect large buildings from quakes is to build a minature vacum around them with super -reinforced glass or plastic.

U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Quote:
Anyway, assuming it's correct
Ah... a Liberal!

Google
earthquake "building failure" analysis
474 hits

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/sunshine.jpg

Shut up and calculate.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
P
P
How about using the behive cone strategy as a possible construction to counter earthquakes since apparently this is the most stable structure ever created.

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Why not put monitors on borders of tectonic plates? I am assuming you already know how earthquakes occur- so when the monitors detect no movement they will sound a caution signal.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
It's not because of wind resistance.

It's because a building has a lot of mass and resists motion. And you get a torque going between the bottom part of the building attached to the ground that is moving and the top part of the building which is connected to nothing and doesn't want to move.

The japanese have ameliorated the problem considerably in some buildings with technology by building onto plates that move to counteract the moments produced when the ground shakes. We can also reinforce our buildings and use materials and construction methods that can take strain without breaking or significantly weakening.

But technology isn't always cheap.

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
thanks for all the info! smile
Surely people must realise that gradually making an entire city earthquake-proof is cheaper than having the city destroyed over and over again?!

B
B
Hi Rob - I don't mean to be critical but I have to chuckle on your proposal. Is it late their in the UK and you have had a couple too many pints ? Ok ! you got me to bite - the domino example is not analogous to a tall building in an earthquake except if the quake is strong enough both will be flat on the ground. You may want to pull a couple of books out on mechanical vibration, designing for earthquakes, etc....

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Yeah, I reaslised the flaw in my plan but it was too late to edit my post. The vacum around the buiding would collapse as well. How silly of me! laugh
I will read some books on mechanical vibration.
Unike the vacum plan, the monitor plan was thought-out properly -what did you think of that?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.