Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 498 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47914 02/06/13 04:54 AM
E
Ellis Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
E
Isn't this an amazing discovery? I was especially interested in the identification of the man (whose name I forget!) being able to provide DNA to conclude that this body was in fact, without doubt, Richard himself.

The body itself was obviously conforming to all the details known about Richard, including the quite severe scoliosis that the spine showed clearly, so it would not really need the DNA. However it does provide the final proof I suppose.

What will happen to the bones now? I hope they won't go on display! Yuck!

Ellis #47917 02/06/13 02:54 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Well, there seems to be some fairly good evidence that it was Richard, but I don't consider the DNA as hugely important. It shows a possibility that it was Richard III, but I realize that in addition to Richard the man had a lot of other relatives from that time. In fact at that ancestral distance the body could have been almost any body in England and still be related to him. So I will say well done, but I won't go as far as accepting that they have absolute proof that it is the body of Richard III.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Ellis #47927 02/07/13 10:09 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
"It’s kind of the 15th century’s Higgs Bosun moment.”

http://www.nature.com/news/body-of-evidence-1.12362

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #48045 02/20/13 06:01 PM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Well he was the King of England (even tho he was unpopular)
Remember he was buried in a the local and wonderful Oak
Baronial Hall of its time. (A great honour for the locals?)

And...just who was going to take his body by Coach and horses back to London in times of War???

The hall has long rotted away, but its area was left, forgotten, for hundreds of years to become a Car Park.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Ellis #48049 02/21/13 05:15 AM
E
Ellis Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
E
Actually Mike-Richard lll was not hated in his local area. He was regarded as a fair and considerate administrator in his own duchy. The tales of him being literally a monster were put about by his successors and the winners! They had rather a shaky claim to the throne and various other claimants were disposed of in the ensuing years.

When Shakespeare wrote his play (Richard lll) it was in his own interest in EVERY way to make him a monster, as Elizabeth l was a descendant of the Henry Tudor, and many still disputed her claim to the throne for many reasons, as well as this one, during her lifetime.

Bill #48053 02/21/13 01:41 PM
I
I
Originally Posted By: Bill
Well, there seems to be some fairly good evidence that it was Richard, but I don't consider the DNA as hugely important. It shows a possibility that it was Richard III, but I realize that in addition to Richard the man had a lot of other relatives from that time. In fact at that ancestral distance the body could have been almost any body in England and still be related to him.

This is not correct. The DNA they used to determine his ancestry was mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). mtDNA is passed exclusively mother->child (i.e. fathers do not pass theirs onto their children) and does not undergo recombination (so it doesn't get mixed up generation-to-generation). As such, the extent to which is spreads throughout a population is much less than the extent genomic DNA spreads.

Is it bullet-proof? Of course not. But given the comparator sample was from an individual known to be descended from the king via a maternal line, given the age/location of the skeleton, and given the skeleton had physical traits consistent with the king and his known cause of death, its a pretty strong piece of evidence. The only other possibility would be a cousin/brother, with the same skeletal deformities, who died in a battle at about the same time.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.