Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Blobby2 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Can anyone help with the answer as heat cannot pass through a vacuum like through a vacuum flask used to keep drinks hot So how does radiation heat get carried through a 93 million mile vacuum Or does light carry the heat of the sun

Thank you Blobby2

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
You got it. Basically light carries the heat. It is very broad spectrum light, not just the visible.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Heat does indeed pass through a vacuum, Blobby. The vacuum of a vacuum flask prevents heat transfer by conduction and convection, but doesn't inhibit thermal radiation, which consists of photons in infrared wavelengths emitted from the source.

"Thermal radiation is the emission of electromagnetic waves from all matter that has a temperature greater than absolute zero.[3] It represents a conversion of thermal energy into electromagnetic energy. Thermal energy results in kinetic energy in the random movements of atoms and molecules in matter. All matter with a temperature by definition is composed of particles which have kinetic energy, and which interact with each other. These atoms and molecules are composed of charged particles, i.e., protons and electrons and kinetic interactions among matter particles result in charge-acceleration and dipole-oscillation. This results in the electrodynamic generation of coupled electric and magnetic fields, resulting in the emission of photons, radiating energy away from the body through its surface boundary. Electromagnetic radiation, or light, does not require the presence of matter to propagate and travels in the vacuum of space infinitely far if unobstructed." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
S
S
Sun transfer the heats with the unique process of electromagnetic radiations, for further considerations i am pasting a link which might help

http://us.docsity.com/en-docs/Calorimetr..._Slides-Physics

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Who is SunnyXX? In the list of threads the latest responder is shown as Orac, but the reply is from SunnyXX. Is SunnyXX Orac in disguise or has something gone wrong with the board?

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Haha lies he is too nice to be me smile

The forum does weird users if the user thats posting is new not sure why tis some sort of bug. If you look at all the threads Sunnyxx commented on I am now the last poster.

Last edited by Orac; 01/09/13 03:47 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
If you look at all the threads Sunnyxx commented on I am now the last poster.

And I though you were trying to catch up with Paul. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
Haha lies he is too nice to be me smile

The forum does weird users if the user thats posting is new not sure why tis some sort of bug. If you look at all the threads Sunnyxx commented on I am now the last poster.

That was what caught my attention. And also all the links were to a site that I'm not familiar with. I didn't follow them, I figured that I didn't want to take a chance with a site associated with the strange posting information.

Bill Gill

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.