Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38 01/14/06 03:00 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
I have a very limited education in biology so I welcome any ridiculing.

If someone who was physically simialr to me had had their arm cut off years ago and the wound was fully healed, and I decided to give them an arm, could this happen:

I cut off my arm at a specific point, their stump is cut off at the same point, surgeons simply attach my arm to them? -Assuming I have the same blood type etc...

P.S. In case you are wandering, I am not giving my arm to anyone.

#39 01/14/06 09:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In theory it would work if the TSTA's were right and well enough matched. Otherwise you might get Host-vs-graft disease and end up killing the recipient. It would take an enormous amount of skilled stitching to hook up enough blood vessels and get the nerve tracts aligned so that they could nourish the graft. I doubt that it could be successfully carried out because of the complexity of the work to hook up the blood vessels, though.

#40 01/20/06 03:20 PM
E
E
It's been done...

Real Handy

Eduardo
Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.
There are 10 types of people in the world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
#41 01/20/06 09:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice find, Eduardo. Thanks for posting it.

#42 01/21/06 01:30 AM
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob:
If someone who was physically simialr to me had had their arm cut off years ago and the wound was fully healed, and I decided to give them an arm, could this happen:
Forget hands, it's face transplants that have stumped surgeons for so long. But a SAGG article, Face Transplants - Here\'s Looking At You , shows that a bunch of guys have been wanting to try it for years.

Soon after this story a partial face transplant was attempted successfully: Woman has first face transplant

video explaining procedure (WARNING! Advertisement precedes news clip)

Apparently the woman is happily smoking again ... Phew! What a relief.

Unlike Clint Hallam (pictured below), however, I doubt she'll be requesting that her transplant be removed.

#43 01/21/06 02:32 AM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by Amaranth Rose:
Nice find, Eduardo. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks Am. (Hope ya don't mind if I call ya that)
It's your positive responses that have made me stick with this forum.
And you know what? I'm glad I did!
OK enough of the creepy stuff.
Back to the action...ta ta.

Eduardo
Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.
There are 10 types of people in the world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
#44 01/21/06 03:27 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
hmmm, could I then replace my human hand with... say, a bears paw, or are the differences in bone structure etc. between us and them too different for it to work?

#45 01/21/06 10:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not only bone structure but also TSTA's (tissue specific transplantation antigens) would be so different that the rejection problem would likely be insurmountable. It's not likely to happen in the real world. Now, science fiction, well, maybe....

#46 01/25/06 06:15 AM
D
D
Yeah well it means that only skin can reject other skin.But it needs a lot of other ingredients (for adhesion, blood vessel circuit..etc) for the transplanted skin to develop and finally the immune system should have to accept the growing skin's antigen..as Amaranth says..

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it ? - Einstein

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.