Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43021 04/02/12 09:36 PM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Today is the 30th anniversary of the short war between Britain and the Falklands. With each Prime Minister blowing hot today I would like to make a suggestion
as how to avoid another conflict.....*EASY*?......But read on first.

Last time, it was over sovereignty
This time, its over Oil, oil that brings in Wealth.

But for who? There seems to be a number of large oil fields offshore around the Falkland Islands.
The sovereignty of which, are disputed by Argentina.
At first sight, Argentinas arguement might seem quite natural, since Britain is thousands of miles
away from its island colony, while Argentina is only hundreds.
Nevertheless before I suggest as to how this potentially dangerous dispute can be nipped in the bud,
so to speak.
I would like to point out that there are International offshore sea laws governing the distance a ship or submarine can encroach upon a territory, before it can be challenged and ordered to depart.
Admittedly I am on very shaky ground, since I know zilch about territorial water law....but years ago I believe it was set at 200 miles offshore?
The Falklands seems considerably further away from Argentina than that.
Meaning that as far as the Argentina is concerned. The Falklands are out past Argentinas international off shore limit, are they not?

There is another important arguement regarding ...a countries Under Sea Continental Shelf.
The arguement that Russia used when it planted its flag on the sea bed beneath the North Pole,
to claim all the Oil there.
Hopefully neither Britain or Argentina will try to see how far each others undersea shelves reach...lest they upset the apple cart and the United Nations step in to rule over future disputes regarding the even richer Antartica Continent Lands, which is disputed not only by the Countries who claim their slice. but others who have never stepped upon Antartica soil.

So you see the International Sea Laws and Continental Shelf dispute between Argentina and Britain should be solved ..Before everyone else gets involved into some future sword waving.

**Finally* I get to give you my answer to solve this dispute.

Britain gives Argentina an oil Rig.....Britain probes the sea bed around Argentina, finds a rich Oil/Gas gusher...and gives it all away to Argentina at no charge.

I contend that once each country has at least one or two of its OWN offshore wells..there will be no more trouble. QED

Why do I say this?
Because otherwise Britain and Argentina could get into the same situation that Israel and Gaza are in today.!!

It's not generally known that there are large deposits of Oil in the Mediteranean Basin.

Oil has finally been found by the Israeli's, who were pretty annoyed that God
had not favoured them with any Oil riches.

Now that has all changed, substantial offshore Oil/Gas has been discovered off the coast of Israel and Gaza. But neither can really take advantage of this Oil while they are not at peace.
Now do you see what I mean?

The same thing could happen with Argentina and Britain...Have a war, even a small one and nobody gets anything.

Now I am sure you would like to see a URL regarding Gaza/Israeli Oil?

http://www.oilinisrael.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Adira-License.jpg

http://www.oilinisrael.net/top-stories/leviathan-discovery-opens-a-new-era-for-israel

...and here

According to Dr Vinegar, Israel has the second-biggest oil shale deposits in the world, outside the US: "We estimate that there is the equivalent of 250 billion barrels of oil here. (Really?#%?) mad
To put that in context, there are proven reserves of 260 billion barrels of oil in Saudi Arabia."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business...f-1226025327281

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Looks like Britain is looking ahead to ensure its future in Oil and Gas Reserves.
The UK has presented its claim to the "United Nations Commission for the Limits of the Continental Shelf", around the Falklands, to be extended beyond the 200 mile limit.

The bid for the Ascension Island extension, was lodged over 4 years ago. Here there should be no problems, since there are no other near claiments for hundreds of miles around
Fewer than half of the world's maritime boundaries have been agreed, but there is a significant potential for conflict where more than one country submits claims to overlapping areas.
In 2006, Britain submitted a joint claim with France, Spain and the Irish Republic for the continental shelf in part of the Bay of Biscay. (I will try to find out the outcome)

***Thoughts
Makes me wonder what will actually happen when more countrys place their "Landers/Machines" upon the Moon.
With Russia, China, Japan, USA, the UK, and the recent announcment that Israel is going to the Moon.
Just how will we divide out Moon territory? The Moon is regarded as free for all...including the public.
A 200 circle of Moon miles, or nautical miles around the countrys lander, object,or flag?
In the 'old Earth days' you would'nt normally meet, marry, buy, or do business with any one further afar than your horse could take you within the day.
Then with the arrival of vehicles and power boats the limit was increased to 200 miles.
Up on the Moon with rovers or buggys. will we go back to say... 200-300 yards per day?

I can see the Moon ending up with more spots than a Dalmation.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Russia, China, Japan, USA, the UK, and the recent announcment that Israel

if sending a rover to a planet / anywhere constitutes possesion then I suppose the voyager missions have already claimed everything in this solar system.

LOL

or have the Chinese , Russians , Ukaniens , Japanese , etc actually hand planted a flag on the moon?

Quote:
Just how will we divide out Moon territory?

as an American citizen , I would consider selling my portion to the highest bidder however.

Quote:
The Moon is regarded as free for all...including the public.

that sounds about par for the course , just like China thinks that propriatary information such as patents and such dont really mean anything , so they just copy everything the world has invented and then sell it to the world.

I didnt see the actual (U.S.) human astronaut plant a earth flag , wasnt it a U.S. flag?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
mike

Im not quite sure if this topic belongs in the general science forum , however I suppose you would know what is and is not science.

perhaps sagg could use a political science forum for discussions about war and oil rights and border disputes and the like.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I think the term 'political science' is a fine example of an oxymoron!

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
LOL , you hit the nail on the head with that one !!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
"oxymoron"?

Does that mean that politicians are bovine idiots?

There never was nothing.
O
Oph Offline
O
While the prospects of oil resources would be attractive to the Argentinian government it is likely that their latest sabre rattling is designed to distract attention away from domestic economic difficulties, rather than to secure those rights. That was the case during the invasion and though it is a quite different government the techniques remain the same.

In a related issue Argentinia yesterday announced plans to nationalise the Repsol owned portion of oil company YPF, much to the disgust of the Spanish Premier. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/17/spain-argentina-oil-company-ypf?CMP=twt_gu

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Yes I do agree with with you Oph.
Plus of course Nationalisation means that the Argentina Gov: can take 100% control of her oil industry.

This will delight of Venezuela's left wing Pres: Chavez,
who actually called the Spanish Pres: Azner a facist, a couple of months ago.

Nationalisation may mean that Argentina will now look for her own off shore Oil, and worry us less about Falkland Oil?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.