Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 199 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42690 03/02/12 03:33 AM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
you guys gotta see this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokMcO3T0SY&feature=related

my thoughts on this.

earths velocity 1466 feet / second around the center of earth
at equator.

why didnt the little helicopter get carried away by the 1466 fps wind if the atmosphere does not travel at the same speed as the earths rotation ?

and why can the little helicopter be observed in the video as traveling along a almost straight verticle path just as soon as it looses the forward momentum gained by the motion of the truck due to the air resistance it encounters.

why do people insist on wasting time , money , and energy in this type of stuff?

I think our education system is being slowly depleted away.

heres the website if anyone wants a laugh...

https://sites.google.com/site/earthdeception/

could be theyre only trying to sell books!

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Kinda busy right now and for the next few weeks, but I'll see if I can watch it this weekend. I don't know anything about atmospherics, but there's more things at work than linear movement.

Rotational movement introduces the Coriolis effect. There is also the effect that warming /heating that produces high and low pressure that moves air around.

There could be other factors. It's not my area.

I agree it's a shame that a guy who spends so much time on this could have been spending time on something productive.

I've never done the math on this myself or even thought it through properly, but my initial instinct is that the scientists generally know more than we do in their own areas - and starting off by assuming that all the scientists are idiots to ignore some very simple and obvious effect probably means one is missing something.

Hopefully, Orac or Bill will chime in before I have a chance to look into this.

Let me say that the question is not a bad question, but he's way off base to not consult an actual scientist before going off the deep end.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Ok Fiend, I'll jump in and give you a quick answer. The man is a crackpot. I didn't bother watching the whole thing, I have other things to do with my time than to waste a half an hour watching that garbage. The first thing that I noticed in the video (other than the fact that it is just flat wrong) is that his main argument seems to be that the rotating Earth theory conflicts with the Bible. That isn't a good place to start a scientific discussion.

As far as whether the atmosphere would rotate with the Earth. It does for a simple reason. Friction causes the atmosphere to be dragged along with the ground under it. In fact at the equator weather systems tend to travel from East to West because the frictional coupling isn't perfect. The Coriolis effect causes the winds to turn off to the North and then to the East at higher latitudes. Ocean currents tend to act the same way.

And of course if the Earth isn't rotating, then the whole universe has to be spinning around us or we wouldn't see the movement of the Sun, Moon and stars. This would create some really weird requirements for a physics to explain it.

So to cut it short, this is a topic suited to a religious fanatic, not to anybody who places any reliance of actual logic.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
why do people insist on wasting time , money , and energy in this type of stuff?

The answer to this one is really quite simple: it’s fear. When someone holds a belief system that is as important as one that dictates how eternity will be spent, anything that might cause that edifice to begin to crumble is terrifying.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.