Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: paul
it could be used to intercept an asteroid that is on a near earth course and change its course.

we can do this and all that is stopping us is ignorance.

And in your case ego. You have the technical capability to prove the concept but if you try you'll know everything you said is wrong.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
but it could if it could be accelerated instantly.

at a acceleration rate of 1m/s/s

1 second d = 1m , v=1m/s , a = 1m/s/s

Quote:
You omitted 0.5s. Why?

Why can't you see that the velocity takes a whole second to get up to 1m/s? It doesn't do it instantly. So during the whole 1st second the velocity is always less than 1m/s.

LOL , thats why I used 1m/s/s instant acceleration!!

if I used a instant acceleration of 1m/.000000000001 seconds/.000000000001 seconds

then that would almost be exactly instant.

but we were talking about 1 second and the difference between normal real life acceleration and fake instant acceleration.

Quote:
You omitted 0.5s. Why?

because there was no reason not to omit it !

ok , I'll add in .5 seconds for you

.5 second d = .5m , v=.5m/s , a = 1m/s/s instant

now I'll use 1 full second for the real life version of acceleration.

notice both move a distance of .5 meters

1 second d = .5m , v=1m/s , a = 1m/s/s real life

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
You have the technical capability to prove the concept but if you try you'll know everything you said is wrong.

you cant claim that , and besides Im not NASA
I cant just get in my car and drive out into space
and build one to see if it really would work.

all I can do is invent the thing.

it would be up to NASA to do the rest.

Quote:
you'll know everything you said is wrong.

so far I havent seen where you have shown why the math doesnt work , normaly you can get a really good idea if something will or will not work using physics math , so

where is the this is why it wont work at?
your so confident that it wont work you should
easily find some viable reason.

but you cant.

why?

just like physics math backs up physics laws
physics math also backs up this idea.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K

Yes. but that's not 0.5s. The other thing you wrote was wrong. Try:

0.5 second d = .25m , v=0.5m/s , a = 1m/s/s real life

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Quote:
You have the technical capability to prove the concept but if you try you'll know everything you said is wrong.

you cant claim that , and besides Im not NASA

You've said you have various workshop tools, and car. You can make this with bits of wire and PVC pipes you know.

It occurs to me that a car engine is almost exactly your device!!! Each piston is a "mass". Each time a cylinder fires, the piston is accelerated downwards (never upwards). When the piston gets to the bottom of the stroke it reverses without changing speed. When it gets to the top of a stroke it reverses without changing speed.

It really is the same thing! Well the only difference I can see is the engine's acceleration is applied during the 2nd turn (top of stroke). But you could just retard the timing to make it fire after TDC.

Do you think a car engine running in space would accelerate itself through space?

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
where is the this is why it wont work at?
your so confident that it wont work you should
easily find some viable reason.

I have shown why the 1-mass system won't work. I did that by posting the source code for a program which analyses it. You can check each calculation by hand to make sure it's right. You can also run the program to see an animation.

I have shown that any closed system cannot do what you claim because it violates the law of conservation of momentum. That is, the velocity of the center of mass changes.

I have not shown why the new 100 mass or whatever system doesn't work because it's too complex for me to want to analyse. However you have analysed it and I have shown you at least 1 significant mistake in your analysis which you have not corrected. Any mistakes which affect the solution make the solution unreliable.

Last edited by kallog; 10/10/11 10:41 AM.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: kallog

Oh I made quite a big mistake there. But again, better see if you can spot it.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P

when I wrote the below
it wasnt wrong.

Quote:

I was showing that it takes more time for a mass to travel
the .5 meters displacement in a real life situation vs a fake instant acceleration.

I thought you might pick up on it but I suppose not.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:

BTW

that would be a displacement of 0.125 meters not 0.25 meters

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
I have shown why the 1-mass system won't work.

It was getting old using the 1 mass system because the 1 mass system gave your side of the discussion to much to work with.

thats why I used the 101 mass system , LOL
this way by the time (50 seconds passes) when the 1st mass hits the turn my side of the discussion already has a large amount of momentum.

at 50 seconds the pipe and mass systems mass is 6100 kg
its velocity is +12.6722971873256 m/s

p=mv

+77301N in fact and thats way more momentum
than your side could possibly counteract with a mere
-4000N

your side of the discussion didnt even stand a chance.
somehow I liked it better that way.

and I believe you understand that and that is the true reason you have resorted to saying your not capable of doing the programming to determine if you might be right.

your afraid to find out.
or you just dont want people to know that you found out.

Quote:
I have not shown why the new 100 mass or whatever system doesn't work because it's too complex for me to want to analyse.

then you cant say that it wouldnt work.

Quote:
However you have analysed it and I have shown you at least 1 significant mistake in your analysis which you have not corrected.

oh , I didnt realize that you had found something , could you let me know again I might have missed it.

Quote:
Any mistakes which affect the solution make the solution unreliable.

yes it would , so where are the mistakes so that I might see if you might be correct finally.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K

that would be a displacement of 0.125 meters not 0.25 meters

Yes!!!! I can hardly believe you worked that out.

And we still have 1m/s/s acceleration even at t=0.5s.

You can do it for even sooner times like 0.1s, or 0.01s, and you can still use a=1m/s/s. There's no need for a to gradually increase over a whole second.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
+77301N in fact and thats way more momentum

Paul, why are you still using numbers and units? Just stop it. You know that you cannot use algebra (you yourself said it's not right). You know you cannot use units (don't argue that again until you have a 3rd party or experimental results to support you). You know you can't distinguish between momentum, force and impulse.

So you want to know where your mistakes are? I already showed you. I don't need to go back and work it out again if you can't be bothered either.

Here's something else which makes your reason meaningless - An object that was accelerated by a 70,000N force can be stopped by a -4000N force. Yes it can, you can test it yourself with bathroom scales and toy cars, or something along those lines.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Ha , LOL

I didnt think you had found anything.

just your usual mouthing off like a lil twitt.

in fact I cant recall anything that you used to prove that
the idea would not work.

so as far as Im concerned you lost.

unless you have something to show that you think would
be a reason that it wouldnt work.

so its put up or shut up.

thats just the way it is.

you writing a 500 page book on how you have shown anything still proves nothing.

and besides you dont really think that any of the others who have been following this might actually believe you do you?

if I had been following this thread I would never even consider trusting anything else that you write.

I think your reputation on the forum has lost a lot of what you may perceive it to be , if you ever thought you had a good trustworthy reputation that is.

Quote:
An object that was accelerated by a 70,000N force can be stopped by a -4000N force.

wrong , see how you try to lead the readers the momentum of the pipe is the +70000N that the puny little -4000N has got to stop to keep it from not working.

LOL

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
wrong , see how you try to lead the readers the momentum of the pipe is the +70000N that the puny little -4000N has got to stop to keep it from not working.

70000N is not a momentum.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
just your usual mouthing off like a lil twitt.

Paul, your frustration about your own mental inability has caused you to cross the line.

Enjoy your life of failure while I continue to make MONEY from my job doing calculations that you don't believe in.

Hahaha!

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
70000N is not a momentum.

I wonder how many times during this discussion you have used the exact same units to describe momentum?

A change of direction has the same effect on the pipe as a stop? How can you possibly imagine that to be true? What if we stop it, then accelerate it in the opposite direction. Will that give +8000N while a U-bend is only +4000N?

several hundred or more , and now that you cant find a reason to claim that it wouldnt work you want to make yourself look good by pointing to the same mistakes that you make.

I agree that I should have used Ns vs N but that also isnt a reason that the idea wouldnt work.

Quote:
Paul, your frustration about your own mental inability has caused you to cross the line.

Im not frustrated by my mental ability , remember your the one who claims that your not capable of making a program that would perform the calculations for the 101 masses , so wouldnt that be your frustration about your mental inability?

Hahaha LOL

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Still waiting to find out what Paul thinks "kwh" means.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Still waiting to find out what Paul thinks "kwh" means.

when I wrote 50,000 watts it was not correct , the total watts was 180,000,000 watts because there are 3600 seconds in an hour.

so in 50 hours

50 * 3600 = 180,000

1000 watts * 180,000 seconds = 180,000,000 watts

which is 50 kWh if 1kW is used for 50 hours.

and to describe that I also used 50kWh

so I admit that that was wrong but the 50 kWh was correct.

but I wonder why such a brilliant algebraist or kallog never did correct that ?

strange

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt

Quote:
The unit, defined as one joule per second, measures the rate of energy conversion.

its just like 1 newton is the amount of force required to accelerate a 1kg mass to an acceleration rate of 1 m/s/s

in fact

One watt is the rate at which work is done when an object's velocity is held constant at one meter per second against constant opposing force of one newton.

-----------examples from wiki watt
A person having a mass of 100 kilograms who climbs a 3 meter high ladder in 5 seconds is doing work at a rate of about 600 watts. Mass times acceleration due to gravity times height divided by the time it takes to lift the object to the given height gives the rate of doing work or power. A laborer over the course of an 8-hour day can sustain an average output of about 75 watts; higher power levels can be achieved for short intervals and by athletes.[1]

A medium-sized passenger automobile engine is rated at 50–150 kilowatts[2] – while cruising it will typically yield half that amount. A typical household incandescent light bulb has a power rating of 25 to 100 watts; fluorescent lamps typically consume 5 to 30 watts to produce a similar amount of light.

A typical coal power station produces around 600-700 megawatts.

-------------end examples -----

do you see any of the above that have time tagged on the end?

so just like the
units N for newtons
the
units for watts do not require that you tag time on it.

if you have 50,000 watts you can use them in 1 second or in 1 year just like 1 newton can be used in 1 second or in 1 year.

even generators are rated at wattage not wattage per hour or per second.

why?
because like newtons , watts already has time included into its definition.

and Im still waiting to find out what your doctors diagnosis was.

I also know your only trying to find some way to cover up your ignorance about the difference between

square feet
and
feet squared

so just go play with your algebra.

and when the doctor tells you that you were wrong dont bother posting his results because every scientist, engineer, and mathematician on the planet says you're wrong.

it may just be that only every other algebraist that are as brilliant as yourself are the ones that will agree with you.

of course

LOL

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
All that verbiage and you still couldn't get around to telling us what 'kwh' means.

This isn't about algebra; it's about your intellectual ineptitude an dishonesty.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
This isn't about algebra

I agree , nothing really is.

Quote:
it's about your intellectual ineptitude an dishonesty.

if you look in the mirror you can see who your talking about
its not me.

you stepped in to the discussion with your intellectual ineptitude and dishonesty ranting about the way things are done in algebra and when your found to be wrong an apology from such a brilliant algebraist is no where to be found.

Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.