Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35357 07/11/10 06:04 AM
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
"One wild cat species goes beyond physical camouflage to capture its prey - it disguises its voice, mimicking the calls of its victims, a new study finds. "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100709/sc_livescience/wildcatmimicsmonkeysoundstocaptureprey

Cats may be cleverer than we thought.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Looks like time to change the proverbs - as cunning as a cat, and curiosity killed the monkey.

I'm sure there are plenty of anecdotes to opine about...

"Some owners have claimed that cats can call birds, even flying birds, closer by chattering at them. Personally, I consider it unlikely that cats are imitating birds to encourage them to approach and the chattering more likely related to the birds being out of easy ambush range. I also find it unlikely that the chattering hypnotizes prey such as squirrels or chipmunks though it might make the animals curious enough to overcome caution."

http://messybeast.com/cat_talk.htm

...but it's good to see researchers following them up.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
I
I
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
Cats may be cleverer than we thought.

You've obviously never met my wifes cat. For a rescued stray, its amazing how little hunting skill he has.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
Perhaps, lacking hunting skills, he makes do with his good looks. After all, he has you to feed and shelter him now. He didn't get that by hunting. I have a cat that has never been outdoors, and she is an excellent mouser. She keeps bringing them to me, sometimes still alive. I tell her to kill them first, then I'll dispose of them for her. She never eats the mice she kills, just leaves them lay for me to find. My other two cats could care less about mice. They prefer to lie abed and dream cat dreams.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.