Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 707 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29915 03/19/09 05:28 PM
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

I'm not sure exactly what to make of this yet, but it seems interesting to me. It seems to be roughly showing how scientists working in one area move their investigations to other disciplines when researching a topic. It's interesting, but I'm not sure how useful it is. I don't detect any directionality from the graph or any sense of proportion.

http://www.lanl.gov/news/index.php/fuseaction/home.story/story_id/15960

Here's the actual map: http://www.lanl.gov/news/albums/science/PLOSMapOfScience.jpg

With this description:
"Colors represent the scientific discipline of each journal, based on disciplines classified by the Getty Research Institute's Art and Architecture Thesaurus, while lines reflect the navigation of users from one journal to another when interacting with scholarly web portals. "

S
S
Directionality is unlikely to exist in such a graph. The graph shows me how different disciplines are related or at least how current research in different fields is related. I saw many of the leads I had traced through the literature in the graph.

Lets suppose you've been trying to find a solution to a problem and no one in your field has done that. Maybe the solution or information leading to a solution can be found in a related area and the graph can be used to find that related area.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I suppose the map contributes to an understanding of the extent of interdependence between scientific disciplines.

Originally Posted By: stereologist
Lets suppose you've been trying to find a solution to a problem and no one in your field has done that. Maybe the solution or information leading to a solution can be found in a related area...

An example being the K-T event. At least five distinct disciplines have contributed to the impact theory, i.e. paleontology, astrophysics, atmospheric science, geology and nuclear physics.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.