Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24012 10/22/07 11:04 PM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
An Electronic cigarette came onto the UK market today.

Ever since the public smoking of cigarettes was banned in the UK some weeks ago, die-hard smokers have taken to smoking out in the street. Even leaving their restaurent or club to go outside and have a quick smoke.
Sidewalks have become littered with discarded 'butts' with people taking a quick smoke before entering Supermarket, Cinema, or Club. Now the chinese have produced an Electronic cigarette that can be smoked legally anywhere.

Same size same weight and very realistic looking. Inside it holds
a watch battery, a capsule of nicotine, a capsule of liquid smoke
and a red LED that glows thru the plastic ash at the end, every time you inhale. So every time you inhale you get a microgram shot of nicotine, and the end glows red. once you stop inhaling,
the cigarette exhales a puff of smoke from the end.
Each E-Cig lasts the equivalent of a pack of 30 normal cigarettes

Apparently its so realistic, the worry is that some one is going to call the law, get you arrested, or else take the law into their own hands, and give you a 'knuckle duster'

It could get interesting.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23417628-details/Smoke+without+fire...+a+cigarette+that's+legal+indoors/article.do

http://www.e-cig.com/shopping/shopdisplaycategories.asp

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Electronic Cigarette Supply

Dear Sir or Madam,

Good day!

Here is Linda from Electronic Department of TOP MACHINERY & EQUIPMENT (ZHENGZHOU) LTD.

We are a professional eletronic cigarettes (with CE ROHS) manufacturer in China. Different models can satisfy you!

We have our own brand TOPROL and also we do OEM free of charge.

And now we have some latest models,such as 84mm DSE 102. should you be interested in our products, may i know your email address so that i can send you some beautiful photos of our ecigarette.
This is my email:mail@top-rol.com
This is my MSN: toprol06@hotmail.com

Waiting for your reply
Best Regards

Linda

K
K
This is by far the most interesting spam I've seen for a while. How on Earth does an electronic cigarette work?

Superstar
Superstar
The ones I've seen contain a nicotine source that volatilizes as the user sucks on the teat.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Interesting. Never having been a smoker, I find this idea mildly amusing; but trying these could be a good move for the, nicotine dependent. One of the benefits of smoking is supposed to be the social aspect, just as it is with drinking alcohol * so I guess they will need to be cheap enough to offer to friends and associates as the occasion arises. I'm out of touch - how do they measure up, price wise, against the standard deadly version? **

From http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23417628-details/Smoke+without+fire...+a+cigarette+that's+legal+indoors/article.do

*"Anyway, I think my customers are perfectly happy going outside to smoke. It's good for us because it creates a nice atmosphere outside the bar and it draws more people in."

**"A £50 starter pack includes the cigarette, one filter and a recharger for the battery. The filter will provide enough nicotine for about 350 puffs, equivalent to about 30 cigarettes. Replacement packs of six filters cost £10 each."

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: redewenur
Interesting. Never having been a smoker, I find this idea mildly amusing; but trying these could be a good move for the, nicotine dependent.

From http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23417628-details/Smoke+without+fire...+a+cigarette+that's+legal+indoors/article.do

*"Anyway, I think my customers are perfectly happy going outside to smoke. It's good for us because it creates a nice atmosphere outside the bar and it draws more people in."
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

I first wrote about this over a year ago, but i have yet to see
one in use. prehaps I don't frequent the right venues.
"Where there is a will, theres's a way?"
Seems like this will only encourage smokers to continue smoking!
What may be the legal stumbling block is the puff of "smoke" that occurs?
If that puff is composed of some sort of white finely powdered mineral...like natural 'Rutile' (titanium oxide) or even chalk. How long would it stay in the air, to be breathed in by others?
In Micro form the wrong kind of mineral powder might even be dangerous, silicosis? .......Any one with practical experience of the Electronic Ciggy?

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Mike: "..stumbling block is the puff of "smoke" that occurs"

Good point. Okay, it's back to the nicotine patches smile

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Exactly my thought Rede. I've never smoked because the smoke makes my eyes water, and in this case it looks like I'll have to keep suffering the results of others' addictions.

Just a question---what on earth is 'liquid smoke'?

Superstar
Superstar
Liquid smoke is a product that comes in a bottle like worcestershire sauce and is about as dark. I'm not home so I can't grab my bottle from the cupboard and list off the ingredients, but you add it to sausage meat and hamburgers to make them taste like hickory smoked meat. It only takes a little, and it's storable at room temperature, so a little goes a long way. It keeps really well, too.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Yuck!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear Sir or Madam
If you want to know more about electronic cigarette, pls contact me freely, i will tell you more details
This is my email: mail@top-rol.com
This is my MSN: toprol06@hotmail.com
This is my ICQ: 373898289
This is my Yahoo: toprol06@yahoo.cn

You can contact me by any way
Best regards
Linda

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Disposable Electronic Cigars can be found at http://www.smokelesswonder.com. No more recharging.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Disposable Electronic Cigars can be found at http://www.smokelesswonder.com. No more recharging.

[quote=Mike Kremer]

Having discussed this Thread, at length re:- The advantages/disadvantagers of the Electronic Cigarette/Cigars, and liquid smoke etc. I didnt think there could be any other development come up.
Looks like I was wrong, this latest development is enough to make the confirmed smoker give up trying to break the Nicotine habit, and go live in Iceland
Why Iceland?
Well Iceland is one of the few places in the Northern Hemisphere where you are allowed to smoke anywhere you wish. Every Hotel, Restaurent, and streets are a smokers 'paradise'
Mind you its a big country and with less than 1/2 million population, I dont suppose smoke pollution has become a problem for them, as yet.

Sweden is another country with relaxed smoking laws.
I believe Sweden, the country that produces billions of boxes of Swedish Matches for the world....only accepted entrance into the EU, if their citizens were allowed to smoke.

But now, believe it or not the Swedish Match Co; has joined forces with the giant 'Phillip Morris Tobacco International' to market, Smoke Free tobacco around the world.
Smoke Free Tobacco? I thought incredulously....What is that?

Well reading the blurb below, it seems Smoke Free Tobacco is.... Nicotine wrapped up in a teabag!
Which you put into your mouth!
Did'nt they market something like this in the USA, 80 years ago. It was called chewing tobacco, and you spit out the foul brown juice into a spitoon, or a bowl that was placed in most rooms.
I remember reading that chewing tobacco could cause cancer of the mouth. Dos'nt any one learn from past lessons?
Well you make up your own mind and read the URL below.

Personaly I think you would get just as much of a 'buzz' from chewing your Elasto-plast Nicotine patch.

http://www.thelocal.se/17342/20090204/

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I bought one on www.safesmoker.eu and didnt smoke any normal cigarette since ive got the safesmoker. I think i will word for many people but think that every smoker gots his own way to smoke. I dont live in the UK, is the electronic cigarette new in the UK?

T
T
I've never had a cigarette in my mouth in my life, can't stand the thought of it. But I thought the whole idea behind smoking was that it's cool and chicks dig it. I just can't see this electronic device as being a chick magnet.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Wolfman:
People do smoke because they think it is cool, certainly, but they continue because it is an addiction more strong than almost any other drug, and less safe too, because there is no 'safe' level for smokers, but the bad results take years to develop. However, for most smokers, in spite of the stories of 90 yo surviving unscathed on a pack a day, it will catch up with you eventually.

Personally I think the electronic cigarette would look really really daft and taste disgusting!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear Sir,
Good day!
Our TOPROL electronic cigarette comes into market now,new design,new package.

DSE101 (102mm)
DSE102(84mm)
DSE103(103mm)
DSE104(89mm)
DSE801(155mm)
DSE901(118mm) with lots of colors and LED lights
DSE701(148mm)
E-Liquid with 10ml,20ml,30ml,50ml.

and E-Pipe,Accessories and disposable cigar with reasonable price,and warranty one year.

if you are interested in them,pls contact with us anytime.Thank you.

Best Regards
Alice
----------------------------------------------------------
TOP MACHINERY & EQUIPMENT(ZHENGZHOU)LTD
Tel: 86-371-65689981 65523361 Fax: 86-371-65689861 65614031
Email: info@top-rol.com
MSN:toprolelectronic@hotmail.com
www.electronic-cigar.net
Add: 125 Huanghe Road, Zhengzhou, Henan, China 450008

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Dear Sir,

................................................>
...........................................>
....................>
Best Regards
Alice
----------------------------------------------------------
TOP MACHINERY & EQUIPMENT(ZHENGZHOU)LTD
Tel: 86-371-65689981 65523361 Fax: 86-371-65689861 65614031
Email: info@top-rol.com
MSN:toprolelectronic@hotmail.com
www.electronic-cigar.net
Add: 125 Huanghe Road, Zhengzhou, Henan, China 450008

[quote=Mike Kremer]

I found this exploded picture of the workings of the Electronic Cigarette.
http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/archive/2695/26951701.jpg

I have never seen anyone 'smoking' these..... but it seems that the battery making them 'heavy' to the lips, is a disadvantage?
Also why upset and intimidate people, when you can still go and smoke a real cigarette out in the street?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20....html?full=true

Both URL's from this weeks 'New Scientist'

S
S
Hi,
First of all thanks for sharing this new stuff. Actually, the main reason behind prohibiting smoking in public areas is to make people aware about how injurious smoking for health. Now, it seems that people are not ready to sacrifice even this small habits. Now, what's the use of making such kind of laws.

CSK

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.