Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 434 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#29031 01/05/09 12:14 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

There is no doubt that there is a dramatic rise in the number
of people who are contracting Diabetes around the world.
Demographic factors, ethnicity, and our modern diet, all seem
to have contributed to the overall world rise in Diabetes.
and yet the actual true cause is still unknown.
Junk food, Sugar, obesity, carbonated drinks, the treatment of
wheat products, (including Bio-engineered 'Roundup' seeds used
in human and cattle food) have all been blamed, even artificial
sweetners, and diesel/gas exausts have come under suspicion.
But there is no definate proof as to any single or combination
of the above being the cause.
Demographicaly the USA has one of the highest incidences of
diabetes in the world. With approximately 18 million people
diagnosed with Diabetes, with Hispanics, Peuto Ricans and
Mexicans particularly at risk. There may be another 6-8 million
additional Americans with undiagnosed Diabetes.
Independent estimates suggestthat the world market for Insulin
could double to $15 bn a year by 2012.
Other countries suffering a huge increase in their Diabetic
population include:-

China(27m), Brazil, Russia(8.5m), Japan(7.5), Phillipines(5.0m)
Mexico, France, Germany(4.8m), Britain, Italy, Thailand(3.8m)
Spain, Poland(2.2), Canada(2.0m), Colombia, Peru, Venuzuel(1.4m).

These are the countries I have listed in order of the numbers
of Diabetics they are known to have (irrespective of their
populations)

I wonder where this Insulin required for treatment, is going to
come from? Many years ago, Insulin was produced from the pancreas of animals such as Pigs and Cows. Today it is produced in huge vats of geneticaly engineered E-coli. Its expensive and
difficult to produce and purify
It is certain that the Scientific community needs to find the
cause of this World Diabetic explosion before it affect us all.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

I
I
Quote:
It is certain that the Scientific community needs to find the cause of this World Diabetic explosion before it affect us all.

How important, relative to all the other deadly diseases on the planet? Does this take precedence over cancer, heart disease, AIDS, Parkinson's, Etc, Etc.......

I get so sick of all the overblown, hyperbolic pleas from people associated with a particular disease to donate money to find a cure for the latest hot malady, I could puke. They are all the same. Juggled stats and hyperbole. I'm diabetic and I don't think it's any more important than the others. And I am particularly sick of all the stats showing how many lives could be saved with a cure for a particular disease. I never see any ideas or suggestions on what, exactly, we would do with all those saved lives if we did find a cure. Anybody ever stop to consider what the world would look like if we cured all the diseases and reduced the number of fatal accidents to zero? Can the population learn to sleep standing up? Can the oceans and rivers absorb that much crap? I'd rather die of diabetes than be crushed to death by the shear numbers of "saved lives". God, what a stinking mess it would be if people stopped dying.

When you talk to me like I'm five, I want to write on you with a crayon. -- Joanna Hoffman
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Iztaci
Quote:
It is certain that the Scientific community needs to find the cause of this World Diabetic explosion before it affect us all.

................> I'm diabetic and I don't think it's any more important than the others. And I am particularly sick of all the stats showing how many lives could be saved with a cure for a particular disease. I never see any ideas or suggestions on what, exactly, we would do with all those saved lives if we did find a cure. Anybody ever stop to consider what the world would look like if we cured all the diseases and reduced the number of fatal accidents to zero? Can the population learn to sleep standing up? Can the oceans and rivers absorb that much crap? I'd rather die of diabetes than be crushed to death by the shear numbers of "saved lives". God, what a stinking mess it would be if people stopped dying.

[quote=Mike Kremer]
I'm not sure if your above remarks are strictly true.
Given that no one can predict what life would be like were there no diseases in our World. At least those now disease freepeople would be able to contribute fully to their own and others.
Again although there would be a slight increase in population
this would mean a little less for everyone.
The birthrate would likely go down even further. Which is exactly what is happening in the "1st World " today. Although the 3rd world has a higher birthrate than ourselves their life span is often shorter.
Demographic areas have a habit of settling down to their natural status , comensurate with what that area can support.
The present movement of peoples from one geographic area to a better one, shows that this effect is happening and will continue.
We ourselves could not live so well, if it was not for the importation of foodstuffs from abroad.
As long as we are all prepared to take a drop in our living standards over a perion of time, the world population will continue to increase.
I am sorry that you have Diabetes, you have to look after your eyes and circulation, and general health. etc.
Obviously you are taking your Insulin, so I fail to see why you should be sick of all the stats regarding the many lives that can be saved by modern medications?
Prehaps in the very near future you will be able to eat the genetically modified seeds of the Safflower plant?
An interesting find I have put below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6518787.stm

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 01/05/09 07:43 PM.

Superstar
Superstar
Insulin from Safflower. What will they think of next? How about goat's milk from sweet potatoes, or Jello from peaches? It takes time to grow and process these protein based products. I look forward with great interest to the next generation of genetically modified plants.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
Insulin from Safflower. What will they think of next? How about goat's milk from sweet potatoes, or Jello from peaches? ..........................> I look forward with great interest to the next generation of genetically modified plants.

[quote=Mike Kremer]

Amaranth, I am sure your two examples will become truth, given time. In fact truth can be stranger than fiction, as shown below.

Professor Ed Rybicki of the University of Cape Town has modified Tobacco leaf, so that it produces a vaccine for cervical cancer.
Tobacco,...a cause of lung cancer, can also prevent Cervical Cancer! ....Wow.

Plus two in the pipeline.
There are plans to produce spider silk from potatoes !
and-
A Danish company is even trying to create plants that will help clear minefields. The flowers of the modified thale cress would change from white to red if their roots absorb traces of explosives - showing where the landmines had been laid.

The Downside:-
Clare Oxborrow, of Friends of the Earth said, contamination of food crops, by pharmaceutical plants could raise serious worries and questions about the risks involved for human health in the Food Chain, since pharmaceutical plants are bred for chemical production.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not sure if your above remarks are strictly true.

Given that no one can predict what life would be like were there no diseases in our World. At least those now disease free people would be able to contribute fully to their own and others.
I’ve been studying and speaking the English language for well over a half-century and I have no idea what this statement means.

Again although there would be a slight increase in population this would mean a little less for everyone.
A “slight” increase? Have you any data on how many people die each year? According to the CIA World Factbook, roughly 56,597,034 people die every year. According to diabetes organizations, approx. 3,200,000 die of diabetes and related conditions. Approximately 7,600,000 million people die from cancer each year. 178,000 Americans die from medical or hospital error every year. More stats than I care to look up are available on another ton of diseases. What I am objecting to is not that we shouldn’t strive to cure diseases. It is that every organization uses manipulated stats and hyperbole to call attention to, for instance, “Worldwide Explosion of Diabetes” Catastrophic! It’s as if the other diseases are secondary in importance. Look what happened with “Mad Cow”. It literally dominated the world’s press for weeks. People were screaming as if this disease were the front steps to Armageddon. Deaths from mad cow were fewer, per annum, than from falling down steps.

The birthrate would likely go down even further. Which is exactly what is happening in the "1st World " today. Although the 3rd world has a higher birthrate than ourselves their life span is often shorter.
That’s certainly true but what could it possibly have to do with anything I said?

Demographic areas have a habit of settling down to their natural status , commensurate with what that area can support.
Maybe somewhere in the Amazon Basin but New York City? London? Beijing? Tokyo? Just exactly what are their “natural” states? And what could these areas “support” in their natural status? Are you talking about cherry tomatoes and parsley grown in window boxes?

The present movement of peoples from one geographic area to a better one, shows that this effect is happening and will continue.
OK. And your point is?

We ourselves could not live so well, if it was not for the importation of foodstuffs from abroad. As long as we are all prepared to take a drop in our living standards over a period of time, the world population will continue to increase.
No kidding.

I am sorry that you have Diabetes, you have to look after your eyes and circulation, and general health. etc.
Thanks for your concern… and your keen insight into the disease. I’ll be sure and pass this information along to my doctor.

Obviously you are taking your Insulin, so I fail to see why you should be sick of all the stats regarding the many lives that can be saved by modern medications?
Obviously you come from a place where every person with any type of diabetes takes insulin? And that insulin changes the way they feel about statistics? Maybe you’re actually thinking of Prozac? Or LSD?

Perhaps in the very near future you will be able to eat the genetically modified seeds of the Safflower plant?
Perhaps I will be able to eat cloned shrimp scampi. Perhaps synthetic snake-oil. Eat GM Safflower seeds? No thanks; I think I’ll stick to meat and taters. That will leave more Safflower seeds for those window farmers in Paris when the city settles into its natural status.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have no idea why the above post was listed as Anonymous. Maybe my browser needs insulin. Maybe the forum OD'd on GM Safflower seeds.

Iztaci

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
I have no idea why the above post was listed as Anonymous. Maybe my browser needs insulin. Maybe the forum OD'd on GM Safflower seeds.

Iztaci

[quote=Mike Kremer]
Hi, IsTaki,
Dont worry about it, just as long as we are able to report
the latest findings, to the best of our knowlege or ability.

This headline dropped onto the desk, this morning, as if to confirm our writings.
A PERSON IS DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES IN BRITAIN, EVERY THREE MINUTES.
I guess thats type 2, ......comes from unhealthy living?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...EE-minutes.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/health...rity-warns.html

I
I
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Hi, IsTaki,
Dont worry about it, just as long as we are able to report
the latest findings, to the best of our knowlege or ability.

This headline dropped onto the desk, this morning, as if to confirm our writings.
A PERSON IS DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES IN BRITAIN, EVERY THREE MINUTES.
I guess thats type 2, ......comes from unhealthy living?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...EE-minutes.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/health...rity-warns.html

I'm just glad I'm not that person in Britain that gets diagnosed with diabetes every three minutes.

When you talk to me like I'm five, I want to write on you with a crayon. -- Joanna Hoffman
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
I'm just glad I'm not that person in Britain that gets diagnosed with diabetes every three minutes.

That would leave you riding on the same bus with the 30,000 new cases per year in the United states....At least according to this one report-http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/america/pdf/chapter3.pdf

I
I
Even more reasons to be glad, eh? Can you imagine what that guy's arm must look like?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The diabetic issue is concering in that it could be indicative of other health related issues that have yet to surface. Personally, me, my sister and my brother have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes with no other cases in my family. Very odd in that we are in our 40's (late stage)and in VERY good shape physically.

I
I
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
The diabetic issue is concering in that it could be indicative of other health related issues that have yet to surface. Personally, me, my sister and my brother have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes with no other cases in my family. Very odd in that we are in our 40's (late stage)and in VERY good shape physically.

The diabetic issue is concerning... if you're concerned. I'm not. What are we arguing about? I'm diabetic. I also have an ingrown toenail, and I hate canned tuna. My diabetes is adult-onset and probably came from a lifetime of eating anything and everything I wanted, drinking huge amounts of fine single-malt scots whiskies, a dozen car, airplane and helicopter crashes and a thousand bar-fights. So what? Is it more important than any other disease?

Why did you address this post to me? I hope your diabetes turns out to be controllable. I hope you never ingrow a toenail. But please let me be concerned with whatever the hell I want to be concerned with.

Are you stalking me?

R
R
I have a few questions for all diabetics:

1.How much cost you the treatment, in money and suffering?

2.What would you be able to do for your health?

3.Are you willing to change your way of life for three months?Do you have this courage?

4.If you get rid of suffering, after three months, what would you do? You return to the old way of life?

5.Do you want a sure way, blessed by scientists or an efficient way for you?

Answer at these questions,for you. And if you really want, contact me...

I apologize if I offended someone.

Megastar
Megastar
Thanks, Razvan for your challenge!

George Gurgieff: "A man will renounce any PLEASURE, but he will NOT give up his SUFFERING" --our many tears and broken hearts.
=============================================================
ABOUT GURGIEFF:
http://www.fourthway.info/contact/contacts.htm
===============================================================
EXPERIENCE TAUGHT ME: WHEN I ALLOWED MY EGO TO HAVE ITS WAY, PAIN AND SUFFERING WAS BOUND TO FOLLOW
====================================
Years ago, on my way to becoming a neurotic, overweight and a diabetic, I chose to learn how to dissolve my ego by making the following three simple choices below--which are simply a summary of the twelve-step programs advocated by AA. They are for all kinds of ego-based addictions, not just alcoholism:

1. I choose to be a self-aware person--that is what I now call a pneumabeing. That is, one who was aware of what I was doing to myself, and others, and to take personal responsibility for it, in the now.

2. I chose to stop being a selfish ego, and to tune in to my true and natural Being, or Nature, whatever one wants to call IT. See the note, below.

3. In tune with all Being, all Presence, whenever I felt uneasy and knew I was getting ill--physically, mentally and spiritually--with the help of my conscious spirit (pneuma) I stepped back from what was going on in my painful body (soma) my noisy mind (psyche) and I spoke to my sad, unhappy thoughts and depressed feelings.

This had a healing effect all over, and I was guided to find helpful doctors (medical and otherwise), teachers of helpful dietary and other programs, books, community groups and friends. As I got results I also became very motivated to help others.

In my opinion, anyone willing to try this for twenty-one days will get results and want to help others.
=========================================

THE FOLLOWING IS OPTIONAL

BTW, it is OK to call this power God, Allah, The Lord, Father, GOD, G-d, Christ, Messiah, Adonai, Krishna, the Buddha, The Higher Power, The Tao, Nature, The Word, IT, Love, whatever, but you don't have to.

Regardless of what we call IT, the miracle of having peace of mind will be the result of making these three choices. Media: SPREAD THE WORD

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
None of you have heard of Dr. Hulda Clark's work? Diabetes is a fluke of the pancreas. Freeze dried green hull of the black walnut, cloves, and wormwood capsules. You can doubt this but if you give a moment of thought to how much the pharma and medical industries cash in on each year... Then add the number of lost clients to being cured (no money in cure), you might research the first sentence I wrote. Do NOT take someone else's word, research for your self.

Why are the medical experts only practicing medicine?

S
S
Hi,
Thanks for this useful information. I'm a new one in this forum. I must appreciate the tools provided by you. Please keep updating me in this regard.

CSK
Substance Abuse Treatment

S
stemcell
Unregistered
stemcell
Unregistered
S
My friend recently had a baby and donated umbilical cord blood to a blood bank for research. Does research in the area have the possibility of curing illnesses like diabetes as well?

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

There is no doubt that there is a dramatic rise in the number
of people who are contracting Diabetes around the world.
Demographic factors, ethnicity, and our modern diet, all seem
to have contributed to the overall world rise in Diabetes.
and yet the actual true cause is still unknown.
Junk food, Sugar, obesity, carbonated drinks, the treatment of
wheat products, (including Bio-engineered 'Roundup' seeds used
in human and cattle food) have all been blamed, even artificial
sweetners, and diesel/gas exausts have come under suspicion.
But there is no definate proof as to any single or combination
of the above being the cause...........................>
Etc.....Plus the figures for Diabetes, world wide. etc.

[quote=Mike Kremer]
Forget about the above opening gambit.

It seems that a Dr Alan Foulis, has discovered the cause of Diabetes!
Eureka!!
This means that the whole of my above thread, from beginning to end, has become irrelevant.
Dr Alan Foulis has shown that Diabetes is caused by a Virus,..
a Virus that 'homes into' the Pancreas of suceptible people, and prevents the pancreas from producing insulin.

....modern research is increasingly showing that many of the worlds important diseases are caused by Viruses, and that includes some forms of Cancer.
Well at least you cannot catch Diabetes, like a cold.
Ones suseptibility to disease is increasingly being shown to be dependant upon ones complement of Genes....when born.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7926026.stm

Superstar
Superstar
this report bears out what I had long suspected, that diabetes is a result of an infection. Thanks, Mike, for sharing this article with us. Now I hope they come up with a cure before I get it.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.