Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 457 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27818 09/22/08 12:44 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
You just have to watch this large four legged Military Pack Dog, that runs, walks, and leaps like a horse, up steep hills, or rubble strewn ice and snow,....never loses its footing, while carrying heavy equipment upon its back.
A large self contained Robotic dog that would scare the hell out of you if you saw it coming.
Totally self contained and powered by a powered by a small petrol engine.
Look be amazed, and believe, your nightmare is real.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...e-military.html

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 02/29/12 11:16 PM.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Amazing stuff---though it looks and sounds more like the Big Blowfly than Big Dog. That jump at the end is incredible.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Back in Sept: 2008 I became intrigued by USA Co: Boston Dynamics "Big Dog" that could carry a soldiers heavy pack on its back over difficult terrain.
Which I wrote about below.
"You just have to watch this large four legged Military Pack Dog, that runs, walks, and leaps like a horse, up steep hills, or rubble strewn ice and snow,....never loses its footing, while carrying heavy equipment upon its back.
A large self contained Robotic dog that would scare the hell out of you if you saw it coming.
Totally self contained and powered by a powered by a small petrol engine.
Look be amazed, and believe, your nightmare is real."

Frightening is'nt it?
Well I have just spent a little time, finding the latest
version of 'Big Dog'.
Its now called 'AlphaDog'

Watch and read about AlphaDog below. The US Marines are going to deploy and test him in the field some time this year, while auto connected up to GPS Navigation.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robot...totype-on-video

Superstar
Superstar
Hi, Mike. I see you posted a good one. I had a little trouble with your first link, it gave a not found error. Do you have another link where we could see it? I kind of remember this from a year or two ago when they were testing their quadrupedal robot dogs. I think it is awesome how the machine can right itself and keep on going. It must have some interesting gas tanks to stay on and running while upside down. It got right back up and went on its way like nothing had happened.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
Hi, Mike. I see you posted a good one. I had a little trouble with your first link, it gave a not found error. Do you have another link where we could see it? I kind of remember this from a year or two ago when they were testing their quadrupedal robot dogs. I think it is awesome how the machine can right itself and keep on going. It must have some interesting gas tanks to stay on and running while upside down. It got right back up and went on its way like nothing had happened.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Hi Amaranth,
You are right, my original link did not work. (I don't know why?) But I have edited and replaced my link in the first post....and just to make sure, have repeated that link below....for you.

[>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1052810/Fetch-Fido-The-robotic-dog-revolutionise-military.html<]

Plus a copy of the longhand version of the URL link above
In case that was/is the problem

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
That comment of mine is from 2008! I look a bit silly commenting on a jumping robot when in fact this later robot keels over! The jumper is in the first video.

This second robot is cute though--- I like the sound-track--- but I wish it had a head then it could see where it was going!

Are they both real? The 2008 one seem more advanced, though Alpha Dog seems to indicate the new one is really a superior type.

Superstar
Superstar
Thanks, Mike, that does it. I wonder when these things will get into use for the general public? I could see using one to carry groceries and/or little children. With one of those you wouldn't need a car, just walk in the store with your dog and load him up.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

P
Megastar
Megastar
P

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
That, Paul, is extremely cool.

Superstar
Superstar
I can just imagine someone in a car waiting for a signal from a church tower to distribute the news, "the robots are coming, the robots are coming." One if by land, two if by sea...

I wanta work in a warehouse like that. That is so cool.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
That's great Paul. I had more trouble running the video than those robots have moving all that stock around. smile

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
The new improved (!) robot cheetah has apparently, according to the newspapers here, broken the land speed record on a treadmill in the US somewhere. (I am unable to post things due to ineptitude, but I think this is worth a look for someone more skilful who can!)

It may also sound more scientific coming from elsewhere.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Hi Ellis,
Since you mentioned the Cheetah, we have just had
a write up about it in the UK Mail paper

Interesting ...As Amaranth mentioned it probably runs on
compressed gas.
It gets the World record for the fastest running Robot, and thats about it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...gged-robot.html

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
As Amaranth mentioned it probably runs on
compressed gas.

Fart powered??

There never was nothing.
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:
As Amaranth mentioned it probably runs on
compressed gas.

Fart powered??

Amaranth is proven correct.
Here is the latest gadjet from the laboratory of your
favourite Robot manufacturing Company....'Boston Dynamics'.
'The Sand Flea Robot'
It uses gas, and can it jump. Its noisy, but its hard landings dont seem to hurt
its video eyes and radio guidance. The usual video...below.

http://www.bostondynamics.com/robot_sandflea.html

O
Omics Group
Unregistered
Omics Group
Unregistered
O
Amazing stuff---though it looks and sounds more like the Big Blowfly than Big Dog. That jump at the end is incredible.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.