Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 474 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2669 08/11/05 03:36 AM
R
Ric Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I've been trying to find information pertaining to where exactly our galaxy is going. I've known for quite some time that its nearing Andromeda and that it will likely merge with it, but I'm trying to find out what happens next. Apperantly, our cluster of galaxies is heading on a collision course for the Virgo supercluster? or am I mistaken? At any rate, i'm trying to find more information on the subject... anyone know of a good webite to find such a thing?

"The first Human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
#2670 08/11/05 01:29 PM
E
E

#2671 08/11/05 06:55 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
First we collide with a number of our galaxy's satellites such as the Magellenic clouds. Then with Andromeda at which point our galaxy will likely cease to exist as Andromeda is substantially larger. Then with M33. Then finally with Virgo and perhaps the Great Wall if accellerating expansion doesn't isolate us in our own little bubble before then.

DA Morgan
#2672 08/11/05 08:58 PM
R
Ric Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Andromeda may be larger in size, but the Milky was has more mass, acording to this anyway.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?2000MNRAS.316..929E

"The first Human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
#2673 08/11/05 08:59 PM
R
Ric Offline OP
OP Offline
R
DA Morgan, where did you learn all this? I don't only want to know what happens, I need the information as well.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.