Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 498 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24327 11/19/07 04:36 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Scientists have struggled for years to try to find a 'Unified Theory of Everything'
From Einstein onwards nobody has been able to unify the Standard model with the force of gravity.
Three of the four fundamental forces of nature:. The Electromagnetic force: the Strong Force which holds Quarks together:, and the Weak Force, another fundamental force which controls radio-active decay. Can be accounted for both Mathematically, and in practice.

But Gravity, is the other basic fundamental force which no one has yet been able to fit into any of the other forces of nature, inspite of the various theorys that have been proposed, such as-

String Theory, D-Branes, M-Theory, K-Klein, in Eight or Eleven dimensions. Even all the additional information about the newest particles that have been detected in the worlds big Particle Colliders, in Switzerland and the USA, have not been able to help in producing a "Unified Theory of Everything"

Everything is made even more difficult, since we do not know the exact total number of particles that go to make up our Universe. Their discovery is dependant upon our detecting them in a particle collider.
Which is why we are building even more powerful Colliders to try and detect all the particles there are, like the new Hadron Collider at Cern, (not on line yet).

Theoretically, there should be a finite limit to the number of particles that make up our universe. At the moment we know of 40 known particles which can all have up or down spin, and have different colours, or flavours, plus their anti-particles.

Its no wonder that the top physicists and scientists of the world, have begun to think that a Unified Theory may be 50 years into the future, if even then.
The Maths involved, is extraordinarily difficult, even if the correct Dimensions of Space were to be known.

However GARRET LISI, a very unlikely gentleman, who is not even a physicist, but a technical computer student, who has an interest in Physics as a hobby, and spends his time surfing in Hawaii, has suddenly make the worlds top Physicists sit up and take notice of his simple "Non Mathematical Graphical Theory of Everything".
A coloured pattern that seems to solve the Theory of Everything, without even using Maths.

Garret Lisi has produced a beautiful patterned model, based on the Jewish Triangular Star which he has simply placed
within a six sided Hexagon.

By labelling all the points within the pattern, as Quarks or Gluons, and colouring the points on this flat pattern for up and down spin.
He then rotates this pattern in 3D, completing the labelling, and colouring of all the 248 points within this 3D pattern with the rest of the known particles.

Unused points within his 3D Ball, seem to show the possibility of particles that we have yet to discover, since they predict both spin and colour by their rotated position.

It seems that this 'model' really does integrate all the known particles in our universe.
Garret Lisi's 3D ball not only effectively shows how 'The Theory of Everything'works........but it does so without using any Maths.

Lisi's 3D Ball has interested some of the worlds top Physicists, like Lee Smolin, at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Canada, describes Lisi's work as the most compelling unification model that he has seen in many, many years.

David Ritz Finklestein at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta USA, thinks that Lisi's 3D pattern must be more than coincidence, since it is showing that the particles in our Universe are shown to be of geometrical structure.

The crucial test of Lisi's work will come only when he, and other scientists who want to work with him, have made testable predictions.
To fill his 3D Ball will require more than 20 new particles, not yet discovered, and the calculation of their masses, comes the hope that some of these new particles will soon be verified when the Cern Collider starts up in 2008.

Lisi made his theory public this week at:-

www.arxiv.org/abs/0711.0770

Watch an Animated view of Lisdi's 3D Ball, with sound, and more below:-

www.newscientist.com/article/dn12891

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Megastar
Megastar
Wow! Nice to see something new....
Reminds me of how, back in the 80's, I thought a Rubic's Cube could function as a metaphor (or analog?) for the Standard Model. I figured ways to rotate opposite corners, or 3 adjacent corners -with opposite rotation, or all rotated 1/3 clockwise, etc.

I especially thought this was a valid, important point -from your link:
"Sabine Hossenfelder, also at PI, argues that Lisi's idea could be complementary to string theory, rather than a radical alternative. She points out that string theorists already use E8 to describe a pattern of extra-dimensional space called the Calabi-Yau manifold, which they propose exists alongside the three dimensions that we see. "Is this a coincidence?" she asks.

Thanks Mike!
~

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: samwik
Wow! Nice to see something new....
Reminds me of how, back in the 80's, I thought a Rubic's Cube could function as a metaphor (or analog?) for the Standard Model. I figured ways to rotate opposite corners, or 3 adjacent corners -with opposite rotation, or all rotated 1/3 clockwise, etc.

I especially thought this was a valid, important point -from your link:
"Sabine Hossenfelder, also at PI, argues that Lisi's idea could be complementary to string theory, rather than a radical alternative. She points out that string theorists already use E8 to describe a pattern of extra-dimensional space called the Calabi-Yau manifold, which they propose exists alongside the three dimensions that we see. "Is this a coincidence?" she asks.

Thanks Mike!
~

Hi Samwik,
Yes I thought G. Lisi had something unique and very new, as well.

Looking into his background and education, I found that a simple student with an interest in physics he is not.
At least not any more. Boy did I get that wrong.

Below is a list of his impressive qualifications, starting with his, Ph.D in physics. .....So Dr G.Lisi it is.

http://interstice.com/~aglisi/Physics/CVp.html

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.