Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23083 08/07/07 03:23 PM
J
OP Offline
J
No, the trees are not Finnish. The following story has hit the Internet:

Quote:
Some new proxy data has recently emerged from studies of tree rings in Northern Scandinavia. In part because of the cold temperatures there, wood residues from the last 7,000 years have been well preserved at the bottom of muddy lakes. From that, Finnish researchers have been able to reconstuct a temperature record covering that period.

The linked pdf shows proxy data in Figure 5 that goes beyond 1960 that also diverges from the temperature record.

W
W
How timely. According to this graph, we are standing at the precipice of a Temperature Drop. Human factors were of no significance during the last 400 years. If the cooling event does not occur, the Finnish Tree Rings give the Chicken Littles a little more ammunition. And if the Climate does cool, those on the other Bandwagon can say, "See, we told you so."

S
S
I've seen questioning data about using Greenland ice cores as temp proxies. I just don't think we have the historic temps correct. According the proxies the Younger Dryas period was cold with advancing ice sheets in the north yet when you study mammoths it could not be so given the vegetation associated with them. Plus there are lake sediments that show pollen counts and types during that period that show warmer temps.

I've also seen new studies questioning using the isotopes in ice cores for temperature proxies.

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.
scpg02 - I too am wondering if temperature proxies have it right. Let's not even talk about CO2 proxies!

I've been looking for any studies that have validated the proxy dataset to global temperatures calculated from modern climate stations. It seems it would be a valid excercise, and relatively straightforward. It would also give everybody some level of comfort about just how steady (or variable) our past temperature has been. Unfortunately, I have not found any such study.

I wonder why.........

W
W
The Tree Ring data could be thrown off by any number of things, It's a record of growth. Sunlight and certain variations in pollutant levels affect growth in trees. But there's definitely a rhythm there, temperature related or not.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Scpg02 wrote:

"According the proxies the Younger Dryas period was cold with advancing ice sheets in the north yet when you study mammoths it could not be so given the vegetation associated with them. Plus there are lake sediments that show pollen counts and types during that period that show warmer temps."

From what I've read about the period the vegetation was what has been called mosaic, patchy. Clumps of trees provided micro-climates where warm-loving species could survive on the south side or underneath. Fire and the extinction of the megafauna destroyed this mosaic vegetation so now we have huge expanses of mono-culture. I've even read that the vast treeless praires of North America didn't exist humans arrived and performed the above. Maybe I'll look for a link.

S
S
Originally Posted By: terrytnewzealand

From what I've read about the period the vegetation was what has been called mosaic, patchy. Clumps of trees provided micro-climates where warm-loving species could survive on the south side or underneath. Fire and the extinction of the megafauna destroyed this mosaic vegetation so now we have huge expanses of mono-culture. I've even read that the vast treeless praires of North America didn't exist humans arrived and performed the above. Maybe I'll look for a link.

The American prairies were formed by huge herds of buffalo grazing. On a side note sage brush is now taking over land that once had waist high grass. Why? We have removed the cattle that took over for the buffalo. The grasslands were formed under intensive grazing. Some studies have been done on how to graze cattle to bring the land back to that. Sadly enviros pay no attention to the science, their bias lives on.

The huge herds of buffalo were possibly that size because the Aboriginal people that hunted them had died off do to small pox spreading after first arrival.

I just found some science to back up what I was saying about the northern climates. I can also point to other discussions that are taking place on this subject.

S
S
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v423/n6940/abs/423603a.html

Palaeobotany: Ice-age steppe vegetation in east Beringia
Grant D. Zazula1, Duane G. Froese2, Charles E. Schweger3, Rolf W. Mathewes1, Alwynne B. Beaudoin4, Alice M. Telka5, C. Richard Harington6 and John A. Westgate7

The landmass known as Beringia is an extensive region that existed during the Pleistocene epoch and included the land bridge between present-day Siberia and Alaska, now submerged beneath the Bering Strait. It must have been covered with vegetation even during the coldest part of the most recent ice age (some 24,000 years ago) because it supported large populations of woolly mammoth, horses, bison and other mammals during a time of extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation, although the nature of this vegetation has not been determined1, 2, 3. Here we report the discovery of macrofossils of prairie sage (Artemisia frigida), bunch-grasses and forbs that are representative of ice-age steppe vegetation associated with Pleistocene mammals in eastern Beringia. This vegetation was unlike that found in modern Arctic tundra, which can sustain relatively few mammals, but was instead a productive ecosystem of dry grassland that resembled extant subarctic steppe communities4, 5.

1. Department of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia V5A 1S6, Canada
2. Department of Earth Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia V5A 1S6, Canada
3. Department of Anthropology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H4, Canada
4. Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 0M6, Canada
5. PALEOTEC Services, West Ottawa, Ontario K1R 5K2, Canada
6. Canadian Museum of Nature, PO Box 3443, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6P4, Canada
7. Department of Geology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 3B1, Canada

S
S

S
S
Originally Posted By: Canuck
scpg02 - I too am wondering if temperature proxies have it right. Let's not even talk about CO2 proxies!

I've been looking for any studies that have validated the proxy dataset to global temperatures calculated from modern climate stations. It seems it would be a valid excercise, and relatively straightforward. It would also give everybody some level of comfort about just how steady (or variable) our past temperature has been. Unfortunately, I have not found any such study.

I wonder why.........

I saw a post about the stations being used. It was interesting. This was posted by a 15 year old girl.

http://earth.myfastforum.org/about37.html

Quote:
That said I would also mention that many of the IPCC calculations are made using computer models that still need work. Of course there is another problem that has arisen in the past two months, the temperature stations. AGW supporters have pointed to the results of the temperature stations to confirm the calculations made by their computer models. Now we have learned that these stations have many problems that have resulted in warm biases.

Some people might say that I am jumping to conclusions when I say that the surface temperature record is invalid but they do not know what I know. To date, much of the discussion on the temperature stations has focused on blacktop, air conditioners, roofs, burn barrels and etc. Anthony Watts and his volunteers at Surfacestations.org noticed that humans are moving closer to the temperature stations and that the temperature stations are moving closer to humans. Anthony is also conducting experiments on weather or not the paint is causing a warm bias. But what has not been discussed much is the problem of the wind and how there needs to be a good distance from buildings and trees to ensure proper mixing. Otherwise the thermometer just sits there and cooks. This brings about another problem that KBSF volunteers have learned; the biological problem. It seems that wasps like to build their nests in these instruments. Also, after the instruments are installed, trees and bushes often grow around the stations causing problems with the wind.

Not only has KBSF pretty much surveyed every active station in New England, we have also spoken to some of the guys that work for NWS who actually install and calibrate the temperature stations. These guys have a lot to offer. They all say they do the best they can with what they have. They are limited by government budgets. They have to compromise with the owners of the properties where the stations are located so stations are often moved closer to structures for “convenience.” They talk about the constant changing of equipment and locations. When a property is sold and the new owner does not want to take part in the program, they have to find a new location in the neighborhood or close the historical station. They confirm that the problem is widespread. I understand that NWS personnel should maintain the instruments once or twice a year and that there is a record of each visit to the site. I am sure that these guys and their records will eventually be given more consideration by the scientists who publish surface temperature records. But what is most painfully obvious is that these stations are there to record the weather and not make the kind of scientific observations that are expected when studying climate. No one cares if the temperature that day will be 73 F or 74.5 F, but it makes a difference when the amount of global warming over 100 years is less than that amount.

Does make you question the accuracy of our temperature measurements.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Scpg02 wrote:

"The American prairies were formed by huge herds of buffalo grazing.'

Quite. Once the megafauna died out the bison took over. But it's recognised that the bison had changed as humans arrived. The long-horned bison had disappeared but had presumably evolved into modern American bison as a result of hunting pressure, landscape alteration and interbreeding with the incoming Asian bison. Its teeth adapted to more open grassland conditions and it formed larger herds. This is evidence in favour of my comments.

As further support I quote your next link:

"It must have been covered with vegetation even during the coldest part of the most recent ice age (some 24,000 years ago) because it supported large populations of woolly mammoth, horses, bison and other mammals during a time of extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation ... This vegetation was unlike that found in modern Arctic tundra".

As for the comment, "the nature of this vegetation has not been determined". My understanding is that it has been but for some reason the authors are not aware of the research.

The conclusion is that warmth-adapted vegetation could survive in much cooler regions at that time than it does today. The ice core evidence stands.

Originally Posted By: Wolfman
The Tree Ring data could be thrown off by any number of things, It's a record of growth. Sunlight and certain variations in pollutant levels affect growth in trees. But there's definitely a rhythm there, temperature related or not.

I remember being taught in biology that the most significant factor in tree rings was available moisture. Seems this study has borne that out. http://www.ispe.arizona.edu/climas/forecasts/articles/treering_May2007.pdf

Anybody have ideas how temperature variations are separated out from precipitation varitaions when one is estimaing global average temperature from tree rings?

Just because it's dry, doesn't mean it's hot.

Last edited by Canuck; 08/08/07 12:05 PM.
Originally Posted By: terrytnewzealand
Scpg02 wrote:

"As further support I quote your next link:

"It must have been covered with vegetation even during the coldest part of the most recent ice age (some 24,000 years ago) because it supported large populations of woolly mammoth, horses, bison and other mammals during a time of extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation ... This vegetation was unlike that found in modern Arctic tundra".

As for the comment, "the nature of this vegetation has not been determined". My understanding is that it has been but for some reason the authors are not aware of the research.

No there is extensive research. pollen and insect remains have been identified which are consistent with quite different conditions in the various stages of the last glacial transition to the current Holocene.

Quote:
The conclusion is that warmth-adapted vegetation could survive in much cooler regions at that time than it does today.

There are two elements here, if at a certain place and time some warmth needed species are precent and arctic species are not present then it's pretty hard to maintain colder temperaturs. Second, rate of plant growth is a also function of temperature, unless you have to mow your lawn also in wintertime below 10C, it would seem that all grasses need some. Since Mammoths ate hundreds of pounds of grass per day, it's hard to image a cold winter lawn with grass not growing.

Quote:
The ice core evidence stands.

The ice core evidence stands indeed. The question is of what. Why not challenge this little hypothesis here, which is consistent with the evidence?

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Andre wrote:

"if at a certain place and time some warmth needed species are precent and arctic species are not present then it's pretty hard to maintain colder temperatures".

The problem is that in those tomes both types of vegetation were present, presumably inhabiting varied micro-climates. Therefore the overall temperature may well have been cold.

Again you wrote:

"rate of plant growth is a also function of temperature"

Certainly. Are you assuming there was no temperature variation between summer and winter? Here in NZ grass growth has been much studied, we're a pastoral agricultural country after all. It is recognised that the extra amount of grass grown during the warmer winters in the north is offset by the increased length of daylight in the south during the summer. There is no problem growing grass in the summer during mammoth times. Presumably they fed during the winter on snow-buried vegetation.

Here's a link to the situation in Russia during the last ice ages, admittedly before the Younger Dryas:

http://www.cq.rm.cnr.it/elephants2001/pdf/355_358.pdf

The article shows the boundaries between vegetation zones were smoothed, greater variety than at present.

It's not only grass. How about insects:

Large file but worth while waiting

Goto page 7 fig 6 see what happened in stage LWII. Mind also that the early boundary of LWII around 15,000 radiocarbon years calibrates to 18,500 calendar years.

See also Sher et al (scroll down a bit)

Also recommended:

http://earth.myfastforum.org/about5.html

Last edited by André; 08/15/07 09:59 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.