Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 418 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
scpg02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
elane@aaas.org
202-326-6431
American Association for the Advancement of Science

AAAS decries latest stem cell veto

The President has again vetoed the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, which would expand federal support for embryonic stem cell research. AAAS, the world’s largest general scientific society, stands with a broad coalition of Americans spanning all parties and faiths that supports this bill.

The scientific consensus is that embryonic stem cell research is an extremely promising approach to developing more effective treatments for devastating conditions like diabetes, spinal cord injuries, and Parkinson’s disease. The bill would mandate that such research be allowed to compete for federal funding while following strict ethical guidelines.

The Executive Order is not a substitute for the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act. The new approaches addressed by the order are still in the early stages of development and appear to already be eligible for NIH funding. AAAS strongly believes that it is only through federal support of diverse avenues of stem cell research that we may better understand the potential value and limitations of each approach.

During his tenure the President has acknowledged that it is a critical time for the American scientific enterprise, therefore it is disappointing that he has chosen to maintain restrictions on such a promising area of research. AAAS will continue to support the interests of scientists and patients in fostering medical progress.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) on Wednesday expressed disappointment with the decision by President George W. Bush to veto a landmark stem cell research funding bill.
The measure would have lifted restrictions on federal funding of medical research using embryonic stem cells, which proponents say would be derived from microscopic embryos left over and due to be discarded after in vitro fertility treatments. Current U.S. policy limits such funding to fewer than 20 stem cell lines that had been created when the president first announced U.S. policy in 2001.

"Our concern is that this action has the potential to delay development of important new therapies by cutting off a promising avenue of research," said Alan I. Leshner, the chief executive officer of AAAS and executive publisher of the journal Science.

The president vetoed a similar bill that passed the Senate and House of Representatives last year. This year's measure won strong bi-partisan support in the U.S. House and Senate, but fell just short of the two-thirds supermajority needed to override the veto.

While Bush signed a separate Executive Order to support other stem cell research, AAAS "strongly believes" that all avenues of stem cell research must be explored, the non-partisan association said a statement.

The following is the full text of the AAAS statement:

"The President has again vetoed the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, which would expand federal support for embryonic stem cell research. AAAS, the world's largest general scientific society, stands with a broad coalition of Americans spanning all parties and faiths that supports this bill.

"The scientific consensus is that embryonic stem cell research is an extremely promising approach to developing more effective treatments for devastating conditions like diabetes, spinal cord injuries, and Parkinson's disease. The bill would mandate that such research be allowed to compete for federal funding while following strict ethical guidelines.

"The Executive Order is not a substitute for the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act. The new approaches addressed by the order are still in the early stages of development and appear to already be eligible for NIH funding. AAAS strongly believes that it is only through federal support of diverse avenues of stem cell research, including especially embryonic stem cell research, that we may better understand the potential value and limitations of each approach.

"During his tenure the President has acknowledged that it is a critical time for the American scientific enterprise, therefore it is disappointing that he has chosen to maintain restrictions on such a promising area of research. AAAS will continue to support the interests of scientists and patients in fostering medical progress."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-06/aaft-aco062007.php

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.
B
B
hmmm, on the one hand I'm glad, cos thats again so many scientist who gonna vote against bush in 2008.

S
scpg02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: BrianPatrix
hmmm, on the one hand I'm glad, cos thats again so many scientist who gonna vote against bush in 2008.

Bush isn't running in 08.

B
B
What! Really?? No!?!? You must be kidding!!! grin
Besides, Jeb will do it, given the present hoohaw on the rep side

S
scpg02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What! Really?? No!?!? You must be kidding!!! grin
Besides, Jeb will do it, given the present hoohaw on the rep side

Hillary has been ordained for the position.

B
B
You bet.

PS
Wasn't that a bit of blasphemy? Shame on you!!!

S
scpg02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Quote:
PS
Wasn't that a bit of blasphemy? Shame on you!!!

LOL! Just the truth. I entend on voting for Ron Paul. After the primary I'm going to change my party registration to the Constitution party.

Megastar
Megastar
It shouldn't surprise me that the ones like Ron Paul and Mike Gravel, who often seem to be the ones that make sense by speaking to some underlying truth, are portrayed as kooks by the media.

~SA

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
S
scpg02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
After what happened in the California recall election I stopped voting the lesser of two evils. Nor will I vote for someone just because they can win.

B
B
see? just as i thought, scape will vote for jeb bush.

S
scpg02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
see? just as i thought, scape will vote for jeb bush.

Then you thought wrong.

Edit: sorry, you were joking weren't you?

Last edited by scpg02; 07/29/07 05:54 PM.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Scpg02 wrote:

"I intend on voting for Ron Paul".

That was meaningless to me when I first read it. He's not been mentioned in the main media here. However there was an article in a minority magazine here this week about a debate between potential republican candidates where he really stirred the pot. Seems to be the only candidate prepared to admit publicly why the US has been the focus of dislike by many countries in the world. Don't know anything about his leadership qualities, bit of an isolationist perhaps. But if I was a US voter I certainly wouldn't simply vote democrat just because G. W. Caesar is a republican. Seems the democrats are doing their best to lose anyway.

S
scpg02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ron Paul is one of the most searched terms on YouTube. Although he is registered Republican he leans heavily libertarian and has a larger following than the media would lead you to believe.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Yes. My impression is that there is a huge effort being made to ignore him.

S
scpg02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: terrytnewzealand
Yes. My impression is that there is a huge effort being made to ignore him.

That's about the size of it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.