Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2185 06/29/05 08:55 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I agree with Amaranth Rose on the subject of Buckyballs. She is right about the influence of fire in the making of buckyballs. Buckminsterfullerene's atoms are bonded together into a highly symmetrical, hollow polygon structure (resembling a sphere) with 60 vertices and 32 faces, 12 of which are pentagons and 20 of which are hexagons giving it the same geometry as that of a football. So therefore, in light of this recent discovery and as one of the late Bucky's closest friends, i am able to clearly state that the bucky balls were made using soot.

Roddy
#2186 07/01/05 09:37 AM
J
J
Hi im a newbie! im josephine (josie) and id like to know what the hell you're talking about as i have never heard of buckyballs in my life. please explain to allow me access to further knowledge!

Josie
#2187 07/01/05 08:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bucky balls, a.k.a Buckminsterfullerene, are conglomerations of 60 carbon atoms in five and six membered rings to form a spherical pattern very like a soccer ball in shape and configuration. They are found in soot most naturally, or they can be made in the laboratory easily. Since they are basically spherical shells enclosing a space, that space can be used to contain other atoms such as metals, thus making them soluble and transportable. Sorry I don't have a URL for you, but either buckyballs or buckminsterfullerene in the search engine of your choice should bring up loads of information for you. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.