Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1416 05/18/05 05:41 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
THE Washington Redskins, Manchester United and the Welsh rugby team have all been playing with an unfair advantage. Just seeing their red kit is seemingly enough to cow their opponents into submission even before a ball is kicked.

Russell Hill and Robert Barton of Durham University in the UK tracked success in four Olympic sports: boxing, taekwondo, Greco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling. In these sports athletes do not wear national colours, but are randomly assigned either red or blue. Of 441 bouts, reds won 242 and in all four sports reds triumphed in more contests. And the red advantage was higher in close encounters: 62 per cent of red-garbed competitors won these. But in pushover contests there were similar numbers of red and blue winners. "If you're rubbish, a red shirt won't stop you from losing," Barton says.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18625005.300

DA Morgan
#1417 05/18/05 07:28 PM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
THE Washington Redskins,........... Just seeing their red kit is seemingly enough to cow their opponents into submission even before a ball is kicked.
Could be something to do with the Psychology of colour, as in animal display? Or that teams that wear Red, against a Green background (grass)are more easily seen? (being reverse colors)
Would skin coloured boxing gloves, give you an unfair advantage?

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#1418 05/19/05 05:48 PM
I
I
I seem to recall that red car drivers are involved in more accidents than any other colour, though not because others behave more aggressively toward them but because those who choose red cars are more likely to speed and take chances on the road.

(out of interest, do any of you own a red car? wink )

#1419 05/20/05 04:03 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
No doubt this explains what happenedt to Communism.

DA Morgan
#1420 06/01/05 09:13 AM
I
I
yes,yes i agree with you all!

#1421 06/01/05 11:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that was the kind of observation I never thought of .... hahahah

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.