Originally Posted By: paul
mainly the age of the structures and the location.

I would certainly find a nice warm cave to live in if
I was there in that time.

But most Neanderthal sites are in the mouths of caves, not 1000 feet into them. Even modern human sites are the same. "Cave Men" didn't actually live deep in caves. They wanted easy access to the outside. Actually most were probably open air. It is just that caves provide better chances for the traces to survive. The best indication we have is that the Neanderthals were hunter-gatherers, so they would move relatively frequently. Most living sites were temporary right up until we invented farming. This was necessary because a given area would be hunted/gathered out in pretty short order. There were places that people returned to on a fairly regular basis.

Cave art was not created in living areas. The notable cave art that we have found in many caves deep in the earth were in special places, not living spaces. It seems to me that this site is more of a cave art site than anything else.

Also of course early humans were erecting temporary shelters by 300,000 years ago. It is assumed, since there is no evidence otherwise, that they were temporary.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.