You turn entropy into faster molecules AKA heat in classic physics so you posit the same result as in the Lord Kelvin believed that the universe must die a terminal heat death. As I said your idea isn't horrifically wrong if you use a normal classical example but like Lord Kelvin you need to be careful because Entropy is a little bit subtle and tricky under classical physics.

I would normally refer you to wikipedia but the heat death of the universe page is horrible it won't help you.

Ok, so let me create an example using molecule speed for you to ponder. I have a two groups of molecules and in both situations I measure the same temperature.

a). The molecules are bouncing backward and forward between two plates horizontally in a nice continual pattern (so like a waveguide or laser cavity).
b). The molecules in this group are bouncing around randomly in a box.

So group (a) and (b) have the same temperature but do they have the same Entropy?

I really doubt you will need it Bill G, but some like minas may so here is a related help hint .... Look at Magnetic refrigeration its easy to see what happens.

Hint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_refrigeration ... look at the 2nd image down.

It's easy to see what is going on but there is no way to put a measurement on it under classical physics. The subtle reason why you can't even tackle the problem is because the entropy relationship between the particles is all relative, yes Einstein and friends solved this problem.

The above is why dealing with Entropy in classical physics becomes a bit of hand waving and there is no way to avoid it. It is also why so many errors about Entropy persist and are passed along.

So your answer would be correct for normal gas situations that a layman would encounter ... hence I used the term "semi true". It's something I wouldn't expected anyone to know unless they had done university physics.

Last edited by Orac; 01/21/16 03:06 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.