Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Are we talking about a particle having classical spin and quantum spin? Would both impart angular momentum to the particle?

Both can exist in a particle together and yes both impart angular momentum as the quantum wave is classical in that respect.
They can even counter rotate like Contra-rotating propellers. They share no points that there motions clash just like the propellers.

In a sense on a macro scale you do that when you spin a solid object the quantum spins are still doing there own thing.
Normally the quantum spins in a solid would be pretty much uniformly random so you would never notice.

When the question was asked in Scientific America only one of the three physicists they used actually got it right smile
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-exactly-is-the-spin/

I’m never quite clear about field movement. Should it be seen as the field moving, or something (energy/information/ripples?) moving in the field. If a field already fills space, in what sense does it move?

You wouldn't know there was a field unless you could see the energy exchange (think of Higss pre discovery).
So a field is moving in the sense you can measure an energy exchange remind you of something ... Relativity?

So if you prefer turn field movements to relative field movements because that is all we can say.

Quote:
Is there a form of rotation that could be considered a quantum momentum, as distinct from classical momentum?

I am going to say no for a historical problematic reason and save myself a headache smile

If you treat it strictly in that manner you end up at De Broglie–Bohm theory and the waves are called pilot-waves.
That theory comes to a crashing end, although some still try to keep it alive, but it's like flat earth theory.

Quote:
This is spin 1, rather than class 1 particles?

Now you even pick up my errors so you definitely have got it ... yes class 1 sorry.

Clues?

Lets say things are going to get shorter in the direction of movement of class 1 waves smile

Last edited by Orac; 10/16/15 06:44 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.