Originally Posted By: paul
most of your reply ...

1) a river
2) a step up transmission
3) a 200 kw generator
4) a large boat propeller

what ever that would cost.

I notice you don't seem to have a good handle on what a 200 KW generator would cost. I don't think you can go out and build one with what you can get at the local supply store. They are expensive. They require, among other things, a lot of wire and a bunch of special castings. Very few of the things you need are things you can just conjure up out of the local scrap yard.
Originally Posted By: Paul
using water supply pipes to generate electricity has been around for decades.

check out the generators inside the NY city water supply lines...

I wasn't aware of that, but if it is a fact then good for them.

but the fact that a level pipe can accomplish the same exact result is never considered.

water inside a pipe dosn't care where its elevation comes from
so a 100 mile level pipe with a 100 ft elevation at one end still delivers 43.3 psi head pressure.

Very true, but that is all the head pressure you have and that won't drive much of a generator unless you have a huge volume of water flowing through it.

now how many 200 kw generators could you fit inside a 100 mile long pipe?

you must remember that if you put more than 1 inside the 100 mile long pipe the water will not flow thru the pipe and no electricity can be generated , as scientist have previously proven.

Actually the water would flow, but the extreme restriction would reduce the flow to such a low velocity that you wouldn't be able to get any appreciable power out of it. See my previous statement. You have to have sufficient head to provide the power you are generating.

in fact a professor of fizzics once told me that if a level pipe is long enough you could walk inside the pipe and there would be a wall of water there that you could stick your finger into.. because the water pressure calculations that he performed told him so.. he didnt exactly say it that way but that was the mental picture that I perceived as he explained his garbage .

I seriously doubt that is what he said. Unless you are counting the floor as a wall. In a pipe with no flow, which seems to be what you are talking about, water just naturally puddles on the bottom of the pipe. If you cap both ends and pour water into it of course it would be kind of like a wall, but since the wall would be behind the cap it would be kind of hard to walk into it. I'm afraid I can't take your ability to see weird pictures in your mind too seriously.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.