I think we need to start at a slightly lower level here. First let's talk about light. Light is an electromagnetic wave (or particle, it is both). The color of light depends on the wavelength of the light. White light is light that has a great many colors in it. For a more complete discussion try checking out the Wikipedia Page on Light. The eye has cells which when they are stimulated by light of a certain wavelength generate an electrical pulse which is transmitted along the optic nerve to the brain. The more light hits each cell the stronger the signal sent to the brain. There are a lot of these cells on the retina of the eye. Different cells are sensitive to different colors so the eye can detect how much of each color is present in the view. The brain then processes the electrical signal and we perceive the result as a picture that we understand. For more about how vision works try the Wikipedia article Vision Perception.

Originally Posted By: monica1

The part you did not understand, I was considering fibre optics and how information can be sent by using light and considered light in a space and the difference of an objects light and colour compared to the light in a space. I thought the light in a space seemed visually clear and a sort of transmission constant. So I was wondering if an object some way transferred a signal through the transmission constant?

I still don't understand what you are talking about. When you say light that is all there is. Light is light, no matter where it is. As far as an objects color. The color of an object depends on what wavelengths of light it absorbs or reflects. Objects that are red absorb most wavelengths except those that our eyes and brains interpret as red. Likewise for blue. White objects reflect all wavelengths and we interpret that as white. Well, I say absorbs or reflects. The other side of that is that something that is glowing is emitting the light and the color depends on what wavelengths it is emitting.

Hope that helps.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.