Originally Posted By: Bill S.
If the Higgs domain exists, whether we can measure it or not, something exists. My original question was: would time exist if there was nothing else?

Then something always exists because you can't prove it doesn't smile

Surely you see the problem in the question it's like asking does GOD exist it becomes a matter of faith not science.

The object of the question was to establish whether people regard time as something which has an existence of its own, if nothing else existed.

You have been given the answer science couldn't care a less and there is nothing to learn from the question because it can't be tested ... make up whatever answer you want and works for you !!!!

if time is emergent, does that not imply that time is not fundamental? If it is not fundamental, surely it requires something to exist for it to be realised.

You have to be careful with words here "fundemental" to what?

If time is emergent to a QM universe it is by definition fundemental to that QM universe. Whether it is fundemental to something deeper behind that universe is another question entirely.

So perhaps define better what you mean by "fundemental" which is a very contextual word.

Last edited by Orac; 10/27/14 03:17 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.