Originally Posted By: E.S.
So this basic concept, while it likely isn’t the entire story, is just simple quantum physics applied to our best working model of the Early Universe. And what we get out of it is a Universe that, in most regions of it, isn’t filled with matter-and-radiation at all, but that will continue to inflate for all eternity: our Multiverse.

Those who are familiar with my objections to finite things becoming infinite may expect me to do some hand waving here. Sorry to disappoint you; I have no problem with this.

However, so as not to disappoint completely, I must add that if this model is accurate, and I see no reason to doubt it, our Big Bang was not the beginning. If the multiverse is eternal, it has always been eternal. There was no beginning, and there will be no end.

The point of divergence between a standard interpretation of this, and my concept is that I find it very difficult to accept this apparent linear progression in eternity. Eternity is as it is, and is as unchanging as Barbour’s “Platonia”. The progression we perceive is a product of the 3+1 dimensions in which we live.

There never was nothing.