Originally Posted By: paul

centrifuge diameter.
centrifuge speed.
transmission medium. (water , mixture, etc)

Long time ago but it was a standard science centrifuge generally they do something like 15000-20000 RPM max. I bought it from the uni they were replacing it and I removed the outside casing and removed the central cradle. I then had a round metal plate made up that clamped a standard large science beaker with lid in the centre and had it balanced by a workshop on a machine that balanced turbocharger fans. I then put the rig ontop of the spindle shaft of the centrifuge.

So you can probably guess by all that effort I thought I was about to rewrite physics.

It all failed dismally smile

did you adjust the laser to different radius while the centrifuge was turning, etc.

I did everything I was certain it would do something different and it all behaves exactly the same as the beaker not moving (one of your videos is light going thru a round beaker).

did you examine the light inside the centrifuge?

That was actually what I was most measuring I had the laser clamped and from above was measuring the refraction angle because you could see the beam thru the spinning beaker and record it.

It is all rather boring whatever it looks like prior to the spin it looks like after spinning except.

did you try this through a rotating gas?

did you try different speeds?

I tried a oxygen, nitrogen, neon, helium gases. For liquids I used water, ethane, toluene and any homogenous liquids I could get my hands on because obviously if the liquid is a mixture the centrifuge will produce an effect because it will change densities between middle and outer.

ie, did the light slow down more while passing through the higher pressurized fluid than through a lower pressurized fluid in the centrifuge?

Nope I didn't try anything with pressure I was very disappointed in the end as you may have guessed.

try this through water and a vertical laser (top to bottom) locate your pickup sensors inside the centrifuge.

this removes the transmission through the centrifuge bowl.

turn it slow then increase speed.

then try different radius from center for pressure increases.

it should bend the light.right?

Didn't try it but I can predict what will happen absolutely nothing!!!!

Im thinking the light in your experiment might have transmitted through and around the bowl you used and didnt
travel straight through the medium you used.

That is what I was expecting as well Paul it doesn't happen and as I later learnt there is a reason the light doesn't actually travel in the medium at all.

I will give you the answer via an experiment I did many years later.

Here is the background to the experiment.

Look at the image of a laser going thru a solid plastic block from above

What you notice is the light changes angle the moment it hits the surface of the block.

Now a thought experiment for you keep making the block thinner and thinner until it is the thickness of plastic lunch wrap.

Will it still refract the laser beam?

Lets go one further lets take the thickness down till we have a layer one atom thick will it still refract the laser beam?

I will wait for your answer but I will give you what I expected to happen with a one atom thick wall which light passed thru was it would sometimes refract the beam if it hit an atom and sometimes not and pass straight thru. That is the natural expectation but it is not what happens .. can you guess what happens?

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.