Originally Posted By: Bill
I don't plan to get in on this discussion as is, but I do want to comment on one of Paul's comments.
Originally Posted By: Paul
I think the earth understands the need for climate stability more than we do.

The Earth doesn't understand anything, it doesn't care about anything, and it doesn't need anything. The Earth is an inanimate body that has things happen to it.

I just wanted to point out that anthropomorphizing inanimate objects can lead to misunderstandings.
Bill Gill

I'm sure we all understand that the planet isn't self-conscious. I think Paul's comment comparing the planet's competence with our species' own was appropriate, especially considering I had already brought up that perspective to explain how a recently evolved soil could "store excess CO2 that is not needed in our atmosphere anymore to keep the planet warm, after the sun itself warmed enough... from a Gaia sort of perspective."

I agree the planet is more competent than is our individual species. In fact the planet could be seen as competent enough to "evolve" a new, "needed" species; especially a species that could utilize fire as a tool to change albedo, as well as the balance of labile biospheric carbon, on a regional and global scale. Nature abhors an empty niche.

Without our signature traits (Fire, Ag, & Tool Use), Ice Age conditions likely would become relatively permanent, extending farther toward the equator as more and more carbon became incorporated into in the newly-predominant, temperate soils. It's as if the planet needed a "caretaker" or a land manager, and so created a fire-wielding, land-plowing species to moderate the Milankovitch influences.

http://farmersforthefuture.ning.com/profiles/blogs/so-god-made-a-farmer
Quote:
And on the 8th day God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker!". So, God made a farmer!

p.s. http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13111
"By the end of this century, without a reduction in emissions, atmospheric CO2 is projected to increase to levels that Earth has not experienced for more than 30 million years."

~

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.