Originally Posted By: Bill

Yea, but who wants some clunky mechanical thing like that when you can have a super-duper high technology gadget that works almost as good.

Bill Gill

This is true. Something I deal with daily. Working in the tech industry build amps for accelerators and other high tech gizmos, while I tool around in a 30 year old truck, sporting a flip phone that can't receive most data from them new fangled touch screen doohickies.
I like collecting 100 year old blow torches, model steam engines, and the like. I enjoy things from a time when they were built to last, not built to be thrown away and replaced in a year or two.

Red Green once did a write up in one of his books about building a weather station from crappy Christmas gifts. It was a joke, but still brilliant in it's own right.

I'd trust a good solid rock to do it's job over any technology... period. Less parts = more reliability. Plus, I was a boy once; a stick and a rock was all you needed to wage war against everything from hostile aliens, to cootie ridden girls.

Laziness breeds innovation