To repeat the quote in the message that you are complaining about.

Originally Posted By: Paul

I can see them now , they have evolved / developed wings so that they can follow the sun as the earth rotates , occasionally the masses return to the surface to feed on some unlucky life form that has wandered to far from its habitat.

My reply was a reference to your suggestion that they would evolve to be massive predators that could destroy pretty much all of humanity. That is going to take a long long time. And of course that depends on their having an environment that they can evolve into. If there is no existing niche for them to fill they just won't evolve. A life form has to be able to use the environment in which it exists. If some other life form can use that particular environment more easily then it will be the one to take over. And life on Earth has had billions of years to adapt to the various environments available. Science fiction stories of a species that drop onto a new planet and overrun the existing life forms are unlikely. Of course if the invading life form is intelligent it has a much better chance.

In my reply to Orac I was trying to suggest that small lifeforms (probably single cells) might be developed that could cause serious diseases. That is a whole different situation from large malevolent predators, which are science fiction. And at the same time it is an exciting development because of the chance to learn so much more about just what life is and what is required to have life.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.