I will 'scientifically' experiment with this. I have recently adopted an elderly pug who (which) eats the blood and bone plus earth from around my newly planted veggies! With awful air polluting results!

As I can't use snail bait,( the pug is an omnivore), I have also tried placing containers of beer around the plants as I was told that this is a good way to get rid of snails. No-one told me that this method would result in tragic looking drowned snails bobbing around. I had thought they would carouse a bit, then die. Your method sounds much more humane.

I did try empty egg shells smashed and sprinkled on the ground. The snails are not supposed to like walking on their jagged edges, (somewhat like the tea-leaves). The pug enjoyed crunching the shells up. Not quite what I had in mind.

So I will experiment with tea-leaves as it sounds a lot more ethical than the beer. Though maybe not as much fun for the snails, at least to begin with. I will continue to think about what is a very big problem for me as I drink my cuppa.