Quote:
Robert Bazell is NBC News' Chief Science and Health Correspondent. His reports appear on "NBC Nightly News, with Brian Williams" "Today" and "Dateline NBC."
During his career with NBC News, which has spanned more than three decades,

Bill , I looked but I couldnt find the "DR" in front of his name.

but Im with you after all he is a news corespondent and they may indeed know more about the medical world than those who put the "DR" in front of or "MD" behind their names.

I think about things a little more like this.

we eat foods , we get sick.

a lot of us get sick because of the foods we eat.

if eating the wrong kinds of foods got us sick in the first place
then eating the right kinds of foods or food supplements might just make us well again.

free radicals destroy cell membranes the alpha lipoic acid neutralizes free radicals.

what better way to avoid getting sick than killing what kills our cells.

and what better way to lessen the damages from free radicals when xrays cause free radicals in the body.

pretty simple stuff there bill , get a xray then just take a pill for the damages it has done.

sure there are loads of alternate medicines and supplements that have not had clinical testing by valid medical professionals.

but when you have one such as alpha lipoic acid that has had valid clinical testing by valid medical professionals then why not bring it into standard use , after all if a drug company can put out a new drug every month that usually always has 20 - 30 warnings along with it that take up more air time than the positives do in the commercial why cant doctors have this available to use to actually heal some of their patients.

especially when there have been no substaintual complications from its use.

however...

Quote:
Side Effects

Side effects of alpha lipoic acid may include headache, tingling or a "pins and needles" sensation, skin rash, or muscle cramps.

There have been a few reports in Japan of a rare condition called insulin autoimmune syndrome in people using alpha lipoic acid. The condition causes hypoglycemia and antibodies directed against the body's own insulin without previous insulin therapy.

The safety of alpha lipoic acid in pregnant or nursing women, children, or people with kidney or liver disease is unknown.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/alphalipoicacid/a/alphalipoicacid.htm

Quote:
A Current Update on the Use of Alpha Lipoic Acid in the Management of
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

http://www.benthamscience.com/cdtiemd/samples/emiddt9-4/0008V.pdf

I suppose you just have to figure out if you trust news corespondents with your health or actual doctors , but watch out bill those potatoes have lipoic acid in them also.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.