In keeping with my belief that discussion is, generally, preferable to rubbishing, I would like to add a few questions.

1) We have still not addressed the problem of where the extra mass comes from. Granted, the mass increase is nowhere near as great as that proposed by Mark McCutcheon in The Final Theory, but it still has to come from somewhere. As Bill points out, even if the SSU theory is correct, that falls far short of the requirements of this theory.

2)
Originally Posted By: MK
I admit I find the concept of undersea spreading, by Adams expansion, or by the hot welling up of magma, far more acceptable in my mind, than our Earths cold hard surface rocks subducting, or another words sinking into the much denser rock we are floating upon.

Would I not be right in thinking that in plate tectonics theory it is the up-welling of magma that initiates the movement of plates by causing a slope down which the plates slip under the influence of gravity? As preearth will probably read this thread, I should note that I am not saying “this is what happens” as I lack the maths to attempt either to prove or disprove it. I am simply asking if this is an explanation widely accepted by geologists.

3)
, far more acceptable in my mind, than our Earths cold hard surface rocks subducting,

Would the friction involved, plus the heat of the mantle material, not ensure that the subducting plate margin was neither cold, nor particularly hard?

4)
Since the Universe is expanding, there is the distinct possibility that gravity is lessening over millions of years??

I can understand that the expansion of the Universe would lessen gravitational attraction between galaxy groups, but I fail to see how this would lessen gravity within the galaxy groups; much less diminish gravity within a massive body.

There never was nothing.