I have never heard of a National Day of Thanksgiving in Australia. There isn't one, at least not one that is recognised nationally. Paul's Day seems to be a church sponsored affair, and gives thanks to god for whatever people are to be thankful for--- so it would not be a universal day of thanks as Oz is a rather non-religious society, and allows for the possibility of God being present in any number of manifestations, or maybe none at all--- which is probably something to be thankful for indeed.

Australia was founded by the most despised and degraded of the society from which they came. From this beginning and in a harsh land with few accessible resources these dumped criminals and their gaolers founded a society which is based on individual strength and resourcefulness, but also on a sense of common interest and fair play. Until recently Australia was egalitarian and welcoming to newcomers, and accepting of differences. There has always been a sense of common purpose and 'we're all in this together'.

Recently this has gone awry a bit, and the treatment of our native population has always been appalling, but hopefully we are working on that. In the main though, from such an unpromising start Australia has done well.

The reason I can praise this country is because I came from somewhere else! No Aussie would ever carry on as I just have. Praising the country or waving the flag is seen as a bit embarassing!

The most endearing thing about the place is that the head of state is the queen of the country which dumped all the convicts here to rot all those years ago! Talk about forgiveness!

But perhaps we should be thankful for the country that has emerged as a result of hard work and good humour. We could call it --"She'll be right, mate" Day

Last edited by Ellis; 10/12/11 03:21 AM. Reason: grammar